Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oh My Aching Foot!  (Read 4714 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Oh My Aching Foot!
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:35:19 am »
I was rudely snatched out of my peaceful sleep in the middle of the night last night by an excruciating pain in the big toe of my right foot.  TFW?!  Seems that a uric acid crystal has decided to take up residence in the joint at the base of my big toe.

I knew some serious pain when my appendix ruptured a few years back.  This comes close to that!  Gout sucks!!  Pray that you never get it.  i can't walk.  I can't sleep.  I can hardly concentrate on the book i'm trying to read.  The worst part is no beer till it's gone.  I'm OK with that if it will make my toe stop hurting.

Poor, poor, pitiful me...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Oh My Aching Foot!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:45:22 am »
That sucks! My father-in-law gets it from time to time and it's very painful for him. Is there something you can take for that?
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:06:50 am »
Wait, beer causes the gout? I thought it was eating too much red meat?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:12:12 am »
Wait, beer causes the gout? I thought it was eating too much red meat?

Both beer and red meat can contribute to attacks.  Go to the doctor.  There's something they can prescribe that really helps, and quickly too.  I can't remember the name of it at the moment but it's basically a standard painkiller along with a very strong anti-inflammatory drug.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:14:11 am »
Ouch!  Sorry to hear that, too much beer and seafood and you end up with Rich Man's Disease, eh? ;)

I really hope the dietary changes aren't long-term!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:27 am »
Cherry juice and fruit....consume them in the interum until you get RX from your Dr.

Edit: My aching foot is the heel. Plantar Fasciitis it seems 24 years of pounding the concrete
is taking it's toll.  I have been getting some Physical Therapy to some small relief....dry needling sux.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:33:08 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:39:15 pm »
Wow. Sorry to hear than punatic. :-[

My father suffered from it, but he was in his 70's.

Alcohol is one of the culprits. When I went on my Martini "investigations" by drinking 5 a night and eating lots of cheese and cured meats, a flare-up in the medial dorsal aspect of my left foot halted things quickly. I self-diagnosed myself and took an extended break from the hard stuff. That and drinking plenty of water reversed my incipient gout in just over a week. That sh!t is painful- especially if one is on their feet all day long. Thinking about it, I haven't had a martini since...

Cherry juice and fruit....consume them in the interum until you get RX from your Dr.

Edit: My aching foot is the heel. Plantar Fasciitis it seems 24 years of pounding the concrete
is taking it's toll.  I have been getting some Physical Therapy to some small relief....dry needling sux.

Some of my colleagues have it, and they help combat the symptoms by wearing Crocs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:56:28 pm »
My brother calls this "drunk toe".  He calls me every now and then for a prescription. For rare cases i usually will prescribe indomethacin 50mg three times a day or colchicine 0.6mg every 6 hours for a few days.  if you get it often (read poor bastard) i use allopurinol 300mg daily.  there is also a new med out (gets advertised a lot) called uloric.  fortunately my brother was able to alter his diet and stop the attacks without stopping beer. ;D
Don AHA member

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »
Interesting..... I had this problem (or similar) when I was a tee totaling vegetarian. Now my staples are beer and meat and I'm doing much better..... ;D
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »
i can tell you that risk factors are risk factors but genetics plays some role. even more than what people eat it is how much.  same with sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure issues. 80-90 percent of my patients would be off meds (and i would be even more broke) if their weight was appropriate
Don AHA member

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:03:36 pm »
I get attacks about once or twice a year.  It really does suck, especially when your usually pretty active.  When you can't walk or run, life gets miserable fast.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 02:04:48 pm »
Not being able to move around is bad.  Having the searing pain shooting through your foot and leg even when you're completely immobile is worse.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:01 pm »
I've been reading up on gout.  Seems that diet is not the cause of gout, but if you have gout, food and drink can trigger a flare-up.  It's a chronic disease that can be controlled to varying degrees, depending on the person, but there is no cure at the present time.  Diet and lifestyle can reduce the reccurence of the painful flare-ups.  If left untreated it can be disfiguring.

All well and good...  I just wish my F-ing toe would stop hurting so bad.  I am taking a NSAID (ibuprophin) for the pain and inflamation.  It seems to help quite a bit.  But, I'm a bike rider and a hiker.  Right now I can't even put a sock on my foot.  I need to ride and hike!

Fortunately Pele is taking a break right now, so I'm not missing any photo ops out in the lava fields.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »
I had an attack about a year and a half ago. I just waited it out and it went away on it's own. In January, after enjoying a bit of bourbon a few too many nights in a row, it came back. Same story, it went away in about 5-7 days and i thought nothing of it. Except this time, it came back within the next week. I was talking to my dad about it and he said he has been on medication for his since he was about my age. Went to see a doc about it and am waiting on the blood work to come back, but I'm sure that's what it is. I've definitely changed my diet and have severely cut back on alcohol. I've implemented a vegetarian night and a seafood night to my weekly meals to try and cut back on red meat.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 02:49:17 pm »
As someone who works in an orthopedic office here is my recommendation/cyber medicine:
1. Ibuprofen likely will not be a strong enough anti-inflammatory.  Indocin or Indomethicin is first line in treatment of gout flares.
2. See your family doc or an orthopedist.  You will need a perscription for the indocin.  There are other medications that they can also use to treat your current symptoms and prevent recurrence of gout flares as weithman5 stated above.
3. An orthopedist can give you a steroid injection into your joint to give you very quick relief.  Sometimes they will aspirate some fluid and send it to the lab to confirm you truly have gout in your big toe. FYI the shot hurts like hell.
4. Sometimes there is a stiff soled sandal or post op shoe you can wear to unload the foot when walking until your symptoms subside.  
5. Yes, diet restrictions will help minimize but not prevent future gout flare ups.

Good luck! Too bad you are in Hawaii and not Omaha.  I could get you the hook up today ;)