Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oh My Aching Foot!  (Read 4716 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Oh My Aching Foot!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »
Thanks guys!  My doctor agrees.  I have a prescription for indomethacin now.  The ibuprophin was an in-my-house-already stop-gap until I could get the prescription filled.

I also have a very cool antique walking cane my wife bought for me in the French Quarter back when we first met.  I may be limping, but I'm looking dapper as I do.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 04:34:29 pm »
Man, good luck getting this under control. I thought I was starting down this road(thoght I had a flareup) and got my uric acid level tested. Tested within normal but still freaked me out. Got my fingers crossed for me and you...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 08:11:22 pm »
It is not uncommon to have a gout flare up with a normal uric acid level.  I see it quite often, actually.  The best way to determine if you truly have a gout flare up is to send fluid from the affected joint to the lab to evaluate for crystals under the microscope.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »
Wow. That's good to know(I guess!). My doc didn't tell me that. Wait, would that mean a needle in my big toe joint?
 Thanks for the info, I've got an appt. next month and will be asking questions...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 08:35:16 pm »
My labs just came back. Gout it is...lucky me. Good news is both cholesterol levels came back in the excellent range and my BP was the lowest I've ever seen it. Like my wife said, gout we can deal with a lot easier than all that other stuff.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 09:31:17 pm »
A needle in the big toe will only generate positive results if you are having a flare up at the time.  I would be very surprised if your internal medicine or family doc would attempt this.  They generally leave that up to the orthopedist as they are more experienced in injecting and aspirating joints.  More often than not, treatment is generally based on the symptoms and response to treatment vs. a lab analysis of joint fluid.  Definitely ask what you can do to treat gout prophylatically.  Sometimes it is easier to prevent gout than to treat a flare up.  It is certainly less painful ;D  FYI, gout shows up in lots of other joints and areas other than the big toe: ankle, knee, elbow, wrist, hand, and tendons.

Offline punatic

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 12:57:31 am »
... Like my wife said, gout we can deal with a lot easier than all that other stuff.

Hah! It's obvious that she's never had a gout flare-up.  It HURTS!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 01:48:26 am »
... Like my wife said, gout we can deal with a lot easier than all that other stuff.

Hah! It's obvious that she's never had a gout flare-up.  It HURTS!

Does she get leg cramps? I do from time to time. Talk about waking up...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 08:54:02 am »

Hah! It's obvious that she's never had a gout flare-up.  It HURTS!

Does she get leg cramps? I do from time to time. Talk about waking up...

Ooooh, Charlie horses....... about 3 or 4 a night on a bad night.

You wanna talk about pain? I'll tell you about pain! By a show of hands..... Who's ever passed a kidney stone.....? ;D
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 10:42:40 am »
ME!

And I have one in my left kidney now that sheds and causes me some real discomfort when the little calculi go down the ureter. The first experience I didn't know and ended up in the hospital for three days. I then proceeded to pass a pea-sized stone two weeks later after I'd forgotten about it. Startling 5 am trip to the bathroom. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 11:22:28 am »
You wanna talk about pain? I'll tell you about pain! By a show of hands..... Who's ever passed a kidney stone.....? ;D

Raises hand.

I then proceeded to pass a pea-sized stone two weeks later after I'd forgotten about it. Startling 5 am trip to the bathroom. :-\

"Pea-sized"?!?!?!?!  I think I'd rather have that cut out than try to pass it.
Joe

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 11:54:57 am »
! By a show of hands..... Who's ever passed a kidney stone.....? ;D

Hand in the air!  You know you are effed up when they bring the Morphine.....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 01:52:02 pm »
! By a show of hands..... Who's ever passed a kidney stone.....? ;D

Hand in the air!  You know you are effed up when they bring the Morphine.....

Actually the morphine was for the bacterial ulcer. Google Heliobacter Pyloris......a stubborn little fellah. Oh, and a word of advice....do NOT go into the ER with something like this on Superbowl Sunday. All I remember from my morphine induced stupor is the helicopters coming and going to drop off the party crashers (literally). The hallways were full with triage. It was like I was living a MASH episode......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline punatic

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 06:07:58 pm »
My gout flare-up has subsided to the point where I was able to make my daily bike ride for the first time in 3 days.  Man it feels good to get out in the wind again.  I was beginning to feel quite slug-like.

Feet in riding shoes, toe-clips, and pedaling is one thing.  Hiking across rough, uneven lava in hiking boots is another.  It may be a few more days before I attempt hiking again.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 06:57:30 am »

scale of 1 to 10
1 - dislocated ring finger ( stubbed into work table, finger was sitting on the top of hand, I pulled it back into place :o )
5 - broke five metatarsal left foot (motorcycle ->foot smacked parked car bumper)
6 - cracked left ankle (motorcycle vs motorcycle 70mph race related)
7 - shattered the left ilium "pelvis" ( atv vs telephone pole 55mph)
8 - bruised testicles , black & blue from upper thighs to bellybutton (dented gas tank on racebike during impact)
9 - surgical abdominal catheter removed 5 days after abdominal surgey (ruptured spleen) felt like the tube was attached to my boys :o
The worst pain without any doubt was bacterial meningitis, no amount of drugs worked >5 different drug injections  before just knocking me unconscious. While in this drugged induced state I could hear the doctor telling my wife "if theres anybody she needs to call nows the time..."  :o

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:18:37 am by uthristy »