Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: HOPS IN THE KETTLE  (Read 6517 times)

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
Re: HOPS IN THE KETTLE
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 05:59:35 pm »
Yeah, the strainer thing does work, but you have to empty it a couple of times.  Not that big a deal though.  That's how I handle the brews where I don't use, or forget to use  :), hop bags.  But the strainer is too late in the process if I want to drain the wort via the kettle spigot, which I always do when doing 10 gal batches, and usually do even with 5 gal.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:23:31 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will go with the bag and add 10% since I only do 5g brews.
This Hop Taco...what is it and where can you buy one?

Here's an example(not mine) from another thread. I've got a bag full of hop bags I'm considering giving away.  ;D

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline colinhayes

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 12:35:07 pm »
Have you actually tried that?  The one time I did the strainer got clogged after about the first gallon - never tried it again. 

Yea, it works awesome.  I have a 1/2" ball valve at the bottom of the kettle, so I just attach a hose to that, and direct the hose around the strainer, distributing the gunk.  Fills up pretty quick in the first gallon, but gets better later on.  I just keep a trash can next to me, and when the strainer is getting full I close the valve and dump.  I usually need to dump about 3 times while filling, but the end result is having absolutely no sediment in the fermentor except for yeast.  My beers come out insanely clear.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 07:22:16 pm »
Have you actually tried that?  The one time I did the strainer got clogged after about the first gallon - never tried it again. 

Yea, it works awesome.  I have a 1/2" ball valve at the bottom of the kettle, so I just attach a hose to that, and direct the hose around the strainer, distributing the gunk.  Fills up pretty quick in the first gallon, but gets better later on.  I just keep a trash can next to me, and when the strainer is getting full I close the valve and dump.  I usually need to dump about 3 times while filling, but the end result is having absolutely no sediment in the fermentor except for yeast.  My beers come out insanely clear.

I have begun pouring the wort through a 10" strainer into a fermentation bucket. The strainer is big enough that it doesn't clog quickly, and if I'm using whole hops, they make a great filter. Even if I'm transferring into a carboy I do this step because I aerate in the bucket with a 22" whisk, and also because it's easier than trying to pour from a kettle into a carboy. I keep the bag destined for the compost bin nearby, and if the strainer gets full, I knock gunk into the bag. (I could also get another strainer, I guess.)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 11:28:57 am »
I have a Kettle Screen attached to the inside of my kettle and then I also use a screen to catch any additional hops or break material. I use hop bags for pellet hops, as well.