Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New bulk grain supplier  (Read 17646 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: New bulk grain supplier
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:33 pm »
I like the hop prices a lot as well.

they must have come down in general. I just put together my share of our club bulk order and all the hops I odered were less than $9 per pound.

Kai

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2011, 11:30:22 pm »
I like the hop prices a lot as well.

they must have come down in general. I just put together my share of our club bulk order and all the hops I odered were less than $9 per pound.

Kai

That's pretty good. Grain has come down some too. Unfortunately beer prices have gone up or stayed the same...  ??? Hmmmm I got a lot of expensive high AA hops in the freezer... Time to get to brewin!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2011, 02:53:13 pm »
I just ordered a few sacks of base malt from this site.   Overall an excellent experience.

Beware, though - If you register an account with them, they will send you a 'Thanks for Registering' email that contains YOUR PASSWORD IN THE CLEAR.    In this day and age, I frankly find it mind-boggling that an e-commerce site would do that.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2011, 03:19:26 pm »
Looks like my LHBS has cheaper prices...But not the free shipping.
But, the gas to go a few miles is cost effective.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-ingredients/grains.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:23:29 pm by Kit B »

Offline matt.critchlow

• 1st Kit
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2011, 05:24:07 pm »
I hope you passed this along to them. As you mentioned, this is horrible practice and could easily be compromised.

Glad to hear you had a good experience though, i've been going back and forth on placing an order with them.

I just ordered a few sacks of base malt from this site.   Overall an excellent experience.

Beware, though - If you register an account with them, they will send you a 'Thanks for Registering' email that contains YOUR PASSWORD IN THE CLEAR.    In this day and age, I frankly find it mind-boggling that an e-commerce site would do that.

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2011, 06:05:50 pm »
I sent them an email expressing my displeasure, and received a prompt response.  Which I appreciate. 
Unfortunately, the gist of the reply was "Don't worry, your data is safe, we don't save your credit card info, etc etc".
Which really misses the point, which is from this point on that particular password is _burned_.

This illustrates an important point, which is that it is a very Bad Idea to re-use passwords from site-to-site.   But even so, I feel that it's reasonable to expect a web site to treat my passwords as privileged information, and not to share it with essentially the entire world for the rest of time by emailing it around.   Common sense, really.

So, bottom line - Check out as 'guest'.  It's not like you're really going to want to be on their spam list.

I hope you passed this along to them. As you mentioned, this is horrible practice and could easily be compromised.

Glad to hear you had a good experience though, i've been going back and forth on placing an order with them.