Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Youtube Video of Starter -- With Dry Yeast?  (Read 6731 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Youtube Video of Starter -- With Dry Yeast?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 07:32:53 am »
Thank you for sharing your thoughtful insight.

Yours Truly,
WankingAwayInPuna.  ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03:07 am »
Thank you for sharing your thoughtful insight.

Yours Truly,
WankingAwayInPuna.  ;)

Dear Mr. Wanker,

I want to thank you for your avid participation in the AHA Forum. I hope it has been a learning and inspirational experience. We appreciate your active engagement and hope you will continue to join us ongoing. By the way, using foil to cap your yeast starters is recommended. Please don't hesitate to contact us for all of your wanking needs at your convenience.

Cheers  ;D
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 09:22:17 am »
Well, the AHA removed the link to the video from our site as I requested.  I agree the production values were good, but speaking as someone who's spent over 30 years in the production biz, if the content isn't accurate, all you're left with is a good looking nothing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 10:15:55 am »
Picture the O2 molecules as salmon trying to swim upstream against the current in a river of CO2.
You might be right to some extent, but the flow is pretty slow and there is likely to be O2 molecules with sufficient energy to overcome the current, especially when the flow is spread out over the mouth of the flask instead of concentrated in the outlet of an airlock.  I don't have any data to support this though, maybe someone else does.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 06:10:35 am »
I was talking to Dana, aka the man with the goggles, the other day about the video.  It was not their intent to recommend making a starter for dry yeast, only to demonstrate how one goes about making a starter.  Their choose of dry yeast was purely economics,  $3 for dry and $8 for liquid.  They felt Home Brewers advanced enough to consider making starters would know that dry yeast doesn't require, nor should it utilize, a starter.

Alas, they made assumptions and that is never a good thing but their intent was good and I still like the video.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it but I would qualify it with "Use liquid yeast only, dry doesn't need a starter" and "Use foil or foam, not an air lock, your yeast will be happier"
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

jaybeerman

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 11:49:53 am »
The genuine desire to help newbie brewers was clearly apparent in the video.  Is there opportunity to remake the video? (Assuming Dana and crew feel up to it)  Perhaps the video could be broken into two portions; reconstituting dry yeast and making a starter for liquid yeast.  As far as the next version goes; Bluesman made a good point, sanitizing before a boil isn't necessary.  Skip the airlock.  Technical stuff - once the boil is started you can loosely place the foil over the mouth of the flask, as the steam rises it will sanitize the foil as well.  When the starter is ready for yeast, it's not a bad habit to hold the foil above the mouth of the flask.  This accomplishes two things, it shields the mouth of the flask and it keeps you from setting the foil on a non sanitized surface.  Good luck with the second version.  cheers, j