Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Monk's Ale  (Read 2603 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Monk's Ale
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:29:32 pm »
From the Abbey Beverage Company in Pecos, NM. Is it a Pale Ale? Not sure cause this ain't no wit. Very drinkable, which is one of the stronger points of this offering. Otherwise I'm left with thoughts of what is it about this beer that makes me want another when it is so unremarkable?

Got a bit of the old Belgian to it without any off flavors. Clean with biscuit malt flavor and hop bitterness. Faint floral and citrus aroma.

Lackluster, but interesting beer all the same. I'm getting another...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Monk's Ale
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:33:58 pm »
It's more of a blonde than a wit.  Compare it to Leffe Blonde.  It's not a bad beer, and they have another one that I haven't tried yet.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:44:01 pm »
It's more of a blonde than a wit.  Compare it to Leffe Blonde.  It's not a bad beer, and they have another one that I haven't tried yet.

Oh I see. It does have similar qualities to Leffe. I only mentioned a Wit because of the webpage. Got to say I like it better than Leffe. Beer Advocate gives it a "B" and no arguments here. The light refreshing character of the brew really makes it compelling. Have a couple with lunch and still get some work done in the afternoon.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:46:44 pm »
Yeah. It does sound like a blonde table beer (single, patersbier)

I brew something similar, a 4.5% blonde. Brewed this beer with New Belgium for the 2010 GABF.  Big fun!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:55 pm »
I think Leffe Blonde is very mediocre(at best), but the Brune is pretty damn good.  Of course we can only get the Blonde around here.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:01:03 pm »
Yeah. It does sound like a blonde table beer (single, patersbier)

I brew something similar, a 4.5% blonde. Brewed this beer with New Belgium for the 2010 GABF.  Big fun!

Got a recipe?

I think Leffe Blonde is very mediocre(at best), but the Brune is pretty damn good.  Of course we can only get the Blonde around here.

Yep. I snag stuff up when the moment arises while looking sadly at a receipt. If the Brune comes available I'll take it on good advice. There's a place in town that I've never hit. Supposed to be the best...

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:57:01 pm »
It's become available at a very reasonable price at my after work pit-stop at $7.99. I'm on my third sixpack in less than two weeks. This stuff Is something I want to learn how to brew.

Any ideas?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 07:03:25 am »
It's become available at a very reasonable price at my after work pit-stop at $7.99. I'm on my third sixpack in less than two weeks. This stuff Is something I want to learn how to brew.

Any ideas?
Try a watered down tripel recipe as a base.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 12:43:14 pm »
Ok. Hmmm. It's got some sort of speciality grain in it. I gotta drink a few more and see if I can figger it out... 8)