Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dough-in method  (Read 7951 times)

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
dough-in method
« on: March 25, 2011, 04:26:57 am »
wondering if anyone out there has a dough-in method better than the one i'm employing which is to tip my 5-gal bucket and slowly pour in my grains while stirring so i don't get any air pockets.

i know there's gotta be something better out there.  any tips would be greatly appreciated.  (my back thanks you too!)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: dough-in method
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:37:10 am »
I put the grains in and THEN the water...... 1.5-1.8 qts/pound which is thin enough for a good stir to get any lumps out, then close the lid and have a home brew.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:07:44 am »
I dump the grain into the liqour (water) all at once and stir until all the dough balls are mixed in thoroughly.  Then temp check, then pH check. 
This is the way I've seen it done at most of the small commercial breweries, too, although some spray water in while dumping and stirring the grain. 
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:13:49 am »
Grain to water all at once, stir, go.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:20:48 am »
I have a heated MT so when water reaches temp- dump all the grains in and grab the drill with the paint mixer attached and about 30 seconds later am done. 

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:34:55 am »
I use a cooler and found the best way is to put the water in a little bit hot and let it sit a few minutes. If necessary I add some ice cubes to get the exact strike temp. Then I pour in the grain and stir until there are no dough balls and it's at the mash temp.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:44:54 am »
Water at the correct strike temperature then I pour the grain in, while my assistant brewer (the wife) stirs.  Very few dough balls dion it this way.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 07:45:18 am »
I've done it both ways and have found that adding grain to water allows for ease of doughing-in. It's easier and faster to get a uniform consistency in the mash this way. Using a cooler mash tun, I target a higher mash temp because it's easier to cool down the mash than it is to heat it up.
Ron Price

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 07:45:47 am »
The best method is the one that works with your system.  ;)  I mill my grains directly into my mash tun, so I add the water to the grains. It's nice to have someone else around to stir while I dump the water.
Mark Gres

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:55:15 am »
I mash in a Denny-style cooler, and I've recently started pushing hot liquor in through the out hose.  So I have a cooler full of grain sitting on one stand and a hot liquor tank sitting on a higher stand with a hose running between the spigots on each.  I open the valves and the mash tun fills with hot liquor.  A friend pointed out this technique (on his very different system) results in fewer dough balls, and so far it works for me.

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 07:56:13 am »
I use a cooler and found the best way is to put the water in a little bit hot and let it sit a few minutes. If necessary I add some ice cubes to get the exact strike temp. Then I pour in the grain and stir until there are no dough balls and it's at the mash temp.

I've been thinking about doing something like this method on my next batch.  I would normally waste a bunch of hot water to preheat my tun, dump it then add my strike water and grain at the same time. Now, I'm thinking about shooting for about 10 deg higher, waiting 5-10 min then adding my grain to it and adjust as needed.
-J.K.L.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 08:40:52 am »

I've been thinking about doing something like this method on my next batch.  I would normally waste a bunch of hot water to preheat my tun, dump it then add my strike water and grain at the same time. Now, I'm thinking about shooting for about 10 deg higher, waiting 5-10 min then adding my grain to it and adjust as needed.
-J.K.L.

Yes, and use the calculator here to figure the water temp: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:45 am »

-J.K.L.

Yes, and use the calculator here to figure the water temp: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Thanks for the link!!  I should've known there was calc for that.
-J.K.L.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:59:29 am »

-J.K.L.

No need to dump MT preheat water. Just determine your strike water volume , heat it 8- 10 degrees above strike temp(you'll determine how much by doing it a few times), add to mashtun, and mash in when it's at your desired strike water temp. I like to mash in 1 or 2  degrees high, stirring the mash to bring it down to my desired  temp.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:07:26 am by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:50:11 am »

-J.K.L.

No need to dump MT preheat water. Just determine your strike water volume , heat it 8- 10 degrees above strike temp(you'll determine how much by doing it a few times), add to mashtun, and mash in when it's at your desired strike water temp. I like to mash in 1 or 2  degrees high, stirring the mash to bring it down to my desired  temp.

*Smacks self in forehead * Such a simple solution to the waste of the preheat water makes me wonder why I never thought of it.  Thanks for the tip, I'll be implementing it Sunday.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery