Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer drinking and brewing music  (Read 109961 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
Re: Beer drinking and brewing music
« Reply #525 on: May 08, 2011, 08:50:56 pm »
Thanks tumeric and bluesman, I was not aware of the date but I certainly have taken the opportunity to tip a pint to Robert Johnson tonight.  With that, I'll just add a song, one of my favorites.  ..

Love in Vain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BkPm8JIJJQ

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #526 on: May 14, 2011, 07:23:14 am »
Lately I've been brewing a LOT - getting ready for the summer party season, we've got something this month on the 27th and 29th, next month in Lyon for a weekend and then July 9th for the 4th/14th/Son's b-day. With all that brewing I've been listening to Prairie Home Companion with the family on the deck, which is fun. They had a great band on recently, Old Crow Medicine Show. New "Old" folky stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyJIY-8IroY

Really liking it so far.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #527 on: May 14, 2011, 10:04:52 am »
Heating up the mash water now and about to queue up Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite".  Most people know it from the third movement ("On the Trail") for its uses on the Disneyland railroad, and probably more broadly, as (very cleverly applied!) incidental music in "A Christmas Story".  To me its one of my favorite things to listen to, particularly lately, and when I discovered it, I realized that it had basically everything I loved about Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" but had failed to find in Gershwin's other works.  Turns out Gershwin wrote the piece for two pianos, and then Grofe took it from there, first arranging it for Paul Whiteman's jazz band and then scaling up with a couple symphonic orchestrations, the latter being what most of us know as Rhapsody in Blue.  Not to discount Gershwin's authoring, but Grofe definitely left his fingerprints on those arrangements!

It really is a lovely suite as a whole, the 4th and 5th movements being my favorites (the 4th has a very romantic, lyrical melody, and the 5th weaves the various themes back to a frenzied climax).  Makes me want to get in a car and drive west!

If I've already posted about this one previously in this massive thread, my apologies...now on to getting this mash started!

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #528 on: May 14, 2011, 12:02:03 pm »
Lately I've been brewing a LOT - getting ready for the summer party season, we've got something this month on the 27th and 29th, next month in Lyon for a weekend and then July 9th for the 4th/14th/Son's b-day. With all that brewing I've been listening to Prairie Home Companion with the family on the deck, which is fun. They had a great band on recently, Old Crow Medicine Show. New "Old" folky stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyJIY-8IroY

Really liking it so far.
OCMS is a really fun band, I like them too.
Member #: 900000767

jaybeerman

« Reply #529 on: May 16, 2011, 11:15:40 pm »
Any Andew Hill fans here?  I'm becoming a big eric dolphy fan but I'm not real familiar with Andrew.  Educate me

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #530 on: May 17, 2011, 08:05:24 pm »
Been listening to Dropkick Murphys lately, good stuff!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #531 on: May 17, 2011, 08:20:02 pm »

Really liking it so far.

+1

They did a fine job with one. Really nice harmonies.  8)

Bluegrass is real American Roots music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH0CnjXqCLE&feature=related
Ron Price

Offline hooter

• Cellarman
« Reply #532 on: May 17, 2011, 09:32:08 pm »
I always have Slacker radio going in the garage when I brew.  Usually something like Smashing Pumpkins or Sublime radio.  Brewing and music go hand.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #533 on: May 18, 2011, 11:24:36 am »
Jeff Beck...eternity's breath....FWIW
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #534 on: May 19, 2011, 09:01:29 am »
I go regional/ethnic playlist on the IPod - music based on what I'm brewing: Irish drinking songs for a Red ale, then Oom Pah for an Alt or weizens, and down the line with Zydeco/NOLA/Bounce for spicy beer, Bluegrass with beers brewed with bourbon, Hits of the Bag Pipes for Scottish brews, Chi Blues for APAs, secular Christmas music for the holiday ale (staying away from the religious cause I wouldn't want little baby Jesus to get any idea).  I have no Ravi Shankar for IPAs.  Can someone send me some?
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #535 on: May 19, 2011, 09:11:55 am »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #536 on: May 19, 2011, 10:39:39 am »
I go regional/ethnic playlist on the IPod - music based on what I'm brewing: Irish drinking songs for a Red ale, then Oom Pah for an Alt or weizens, and down the line with Zydeco/NOLA/Bounce for spicy beer, Bluegrass with beers brewed with bourbon, Hits of the Bag Pipes for Scottish brews, Chi Blues for APAs, secular Christmas music for the holiday ale (staying away from the religious cause I wouldn't want little baby Jesus to get any idea).  I have no Ravi Shankar for IPAs.  Can someone send me some?

I like to mix it up as well. If I had to rely on commercial radio, I would opt for silence. I have a very diverse collection of music in my iPod. I love the shuffle option as I won't hear the same song for at least six months or so.

Diversity is the spice of my music portfolio.  8)
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #537 on: May 19, 2011, 01:49:11 pm »
I guess I must be a sick puppy...

I listen to streaming AM on my iPhone - Coast to Coast AM Rocks!

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #538 on: May 19, 2011, 02:28:55 pm »
I guess I must be a sick puppy...

I listen to streaming AM on my iPhone - Coast to Coast AM Rocks!

I have an iPhone so I'll givy a looky. Thanky!  8)
Ron Price

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #539 on: May 19, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »
I like to mix it up as well. If I had to rely on commercial radio, I would opt for silence. I have a very diverse collection of music in my iPod. I love the shuffle option as I won't hear the same song for at least six months or so.

Diversity is the spice of my music portfolio.  8)
Very profound! As is homebrewing?
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders