Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch Sparge Draining  (Read 2247 times)

Offline brewandski

• 1st Kit
Batch Sparge Draining
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:41:42 am »
Everything I read about batch sparging says to "drain" the mash tun and add the sparge water.  Do you actually drain all the wort out or stop and leave some water in so that the grains are still wet?  I guess I am wondering how much to drain the mash tun?

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
Re: Batch Sparge Draining
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:52:40 am »
For maximum efficiency you want to drain it as dry as possible.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:06:27 am »
Everything I read about batch sparging says to "drain" the mash tun and add the sparge water.  Do you actually drain all the wort out or stop and leave some water in so that the grains are still wet?  I guess I am wondering how much to drain the mash tun?

Drain until there's nothing coming out any longer.  If you feel like it, you can tilt your cooler to get the last bits out.  How much you get depends on the cooler you use.  I seldom get more than a few cups by tilting, others get a couple qt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:16:16 am »
With the first run I stop when it's a small trickle and start the second sparge just to save time. Then I try to get as much as possible.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:31:03 am »
The first runnings are the most precious and you should try to get as much as possible. I usually lauter until there's only a trickle. The first runnings are the most concentrated of the two and should be thouroughly drained.

Ron Price

Offline brewandski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:16:25 am »
I have heard of a risk of astringency from exposing the grain bed to air.  Is this just for extended periods of time?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:22:08 am »
I have heard of a risk of astringency from exposing the grain bed to air.  Is this just for extended periods of time?

I don't believe it's true at all, and I'm hard pressed to think of a reason it would be.  You certainly don't need to worry about it as a batch sparging homebrewer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewandski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:23:16 am »
Thanks for all your quick responses!