Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Attention Wachovia home bankers....  (Read 2730 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Attention Wachovia home bankers....
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:58:21 pm »
Wachovia is merging with Wells Fargo, and many if not all accounts are migrating over the middle of April. I have been getting messages about how to move my banking over to their web site, so far so good.

Buried deep in the fine print is the following statement:

Wells Fargo does things differently then Wachovia. Money scheduled for on line payment may be taken out of your account as many as five business days prior to the payment date.

I get paid on the 16th, and thus have a pile of payments scheduled for the 17th of every month.....if I hadn't noticed the crap would have hit the fan BIG TIME around the 11th, when I least need it.....

The good news is, many of my payees have agreed to move the due dates to the 24th/25th, so to a great extent I am able to pass the buck, so to speak....

I can only imagine how many people are going to fcuk this up and how many millions WF is going to make in late fees.....bastards.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:47:19 pm by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Attention Wachovia home bankers....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:12:10 pm »
I've been using Wells Fargo online banking for many years now.  The policy about the 5 day thing is based on the policies (or lack of known policies, actually) of the payment recipient.  If they are able to be paid electronically then the money comes out the date you've scheduled it to.  The payment tool tries to give an idea of payment performance when you select the date to pay on. by estimating how long the transit time could be

I've never had funds withdrawn any day other than the one I scheduled.  YMMV as I am rarely considered "the normal case".   ;)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »
I don't let anyone draw anything out of my account unless it's by hand-written check. I'm chary of the cascade of fees that might happen if funds were withdrawn early.

I believe the banks know that by giving us this "convenience" that they'll rake in a certain percentage in overdraft fees.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 01:19:04 pm »
I don't let anyone draw anything out of my account unless it's by hand-written check. I'm chary of the cascade of fees that might happen if funds were withdrawn early.

I believe the banks know that by giving us this "convenience" that they'll rake in a certain percentage in overdraft fees.
It's actually saved me lots of late fees-I used to travel constantly for work so bills would get unpaid until I got home.  Automatic payments have saved me lots of money.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 01:48:46 pm »

It's actually saved me lots of late fees-I used to travel constantly for work so bills would get unpaid until I got home.  Automatic payments have saved me lots of money.

That, and markedly improved my credit rating.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 05:03:35 pm »
It's times like these I'm glad I'm flat a$$ broke!!  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »
sounds like the best reason in the world not to have a checking account at the same bank you have your mortgage at. 

Other than that, honestly guys, how anyone can do business with the big 5 at this point is beyond me.  They are absolutely proven and openly admitted criminals in nearly every respect.  From fraud to drug money to outright criminal securities violations and open perjury.  Boa, Chase, JPM, WF, Citi.  If you continue to let them hold your money, you deserve everything they do to you.  And they will do it every chance they get. 

Why anyone "trusts" these guys is beyond me. 

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:51:14 pm »
Been banking with a credit union for over 30 years. No problems, no fees, great rates.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 01:34:52 pm »
I've been making electronic payments/deposits/transfers since 1996 with no problems.  I've gotten to the point of grumbling about the inconveniece when I have to cut a check.  My experience has been that the funds are moved on the date scheduled, or later.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

beveragebob

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:06:38 pm »
I've decided to "move my money" I'm dropping BofA and switching over to my credit union. If we all "moved our money" maybe we can bankrupt those greedy worthless institutions. I'm sure their guvment will bail them out again.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 03:52:02 pm »
If my credit union had an ATM card that worked overseas I'd move my money also, but it doesn't so I'm sticking with WF for now.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 04:40:04 pm »
Credit union for last 23 yrs. The big banks can go pound sand.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 05:17:31 pm »
Credit union for last 23 yrs. The big banks can go pound sand.
+1, credit union for over 28 years here
Joe

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 05:57:48 pm »
Amen to the credit unions.

I think the only time I've dealt with any of the banks when I had a choice (aka not my mortgage) is when I had a small checking account in college with the local bank. The rest of my life it's been credit unions - when I got my first job as a wee lad (ok, 13, but hey) all the way through to today.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

beveragebob