Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Futzing around with gas lines....  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Futzing around with gas lines....
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:42:20 pm »
Ok, so I went with the 20# CO2 tank and regulator (also scored a deal on a March pump) getting ready to head for the brew garage where fresh brewery yeast, a corny keg of Secession, two secondaries ready to keg (I think, at least one) and the brewmistress await! We have our first corny keg hooked directly to the 5# tank that will now be relegated to auxiliary chore/backup status. Tonight I'd like to hook up the new tank to the 5 way manifold and begin incorporating the new kegs that are ready to come online.
QUESTIONS: When disconnecting beverage service and gas lines from "active" cornies do I need to off-gas and depressurize before disconnecting and reconnecting the ball-lock disconnects? Any rules of thumb that apply to this process?  It's going to be a great weekend!
Cheers!  ;D
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: Futzing around with gas lines....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:34 pm »
in a word, no.....you don't have to off gas....unless "need" to....but never around the beermistress
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:36:21 pm »
I would just disconnect all the connectors from the kegs themselves.  You probably have back-flow valves but it's really not much trouble to just disconnect all the kegs first.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:39:18 pm »
The only time I bleed the pressure on the keg, through pulling the pressure relief valve, is if I've had high pressure on there (more than 10, as in 30 or so) to force carbonate, and then hook it up to service pressure. (10psi) I don't have check valves and I don't want to run the risk of sending beer to the regulator. Other than that, nope. just hook 'er up.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:54:34 pm »
I just futzed over the weekend.....added quick disconnect and additional check valve.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:37:33 pm »
Nope, just pop 'em off.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member