Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chili Beer  (Read 8319 times)

Offline werko622

• 1st Kit
Chili Beer
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:22:25 am »
Does anyone have suggestions for imparting a chili/jalenpeno flavor in my beer?  I've read places strips of the pepper in each bottle make it to spicy for most to drink.  I haven't settled on the type of beer yet, other than some that is light on color and flavor to let the pepper flavor stand out. I'm looking for guidance on: 

1) What peppers to use?
2) How many to use?
3) What part of the brewing process do I include them in?

Thanks,
Dan "about to make my third batch of homebrew" W.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Re: Chili Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 07:53:00 pm »
if you want a jalapeno beer heres my recipe that has won awards more than once.
i call it kittys revenge
8 lb 2 row
11 oz crystal 40
10 oz oats
2 lbs wheat
1/2 lb carapils
1/2 oz saaz at 60
155 mash 05 yeast
ferment at 64
o.g.1.052
f.g. 1.008
5.8%
soak 6 jalapeno peppers  in vodka for a week and then add the vodka to secondary or keg

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:37:00 am »
I use a similar process but I use 9 jalapenos for 5 gallons.  Won me second Best of Show at a big festival, so I guess people liked it.  The thing with peppers though is that they aren't consistent in spiciness, so it will vary quite a bit from batch to batch.  When I make mine with 9, it ranges from subtle spiciness to in-your-face.  So it seems to be the right amount to guarantee you're at least in about the right range.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:36:34 am »
I like to use poblano peppers for the aroma and flavor because they are so easy to identify.  Since they are usually not very hot I add either chipotle or a little habanero to kick it up a little,  These go into the secondary or into a bag suspended in the keg.  Generally my base beer style for pepper beer is either German Wheat or Belgian Wit.  Peppers seem to work best to my taste in less hoppy styles.  Two poblanos and 1/2 a hab in five gallons gets me the correct level of flavor and heat, but if I'm adding to the keg I can always add more.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 08:33:35 am »
Keep the info and recipes coming! I'm a huge proponent of beer flavored beer but am very tempted to do a chili beer due to my love for all things spicy.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline flatfour64

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48:17 pm »
This one is just finishing primary right now.  The wort tasted real good with good jalapeno flavor and a little heat.  I got the recipe from homebrewtalk forum and several people said they won awards with it.  I brewed it exactly as it was written, except I cut my jalapenos in half before roasting and froze them before adding to the boil.  I read somewhere that freezing fleshy fruits or vegetables helps to rupture the cell membranes of the flesh and they will impart more flavor and aroma when added to the boil or secondary.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Humphrey's Jalapeno Ale
Brewer: Rob Colton
Asst Brewer:
Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal     
Boil Size: 7.24 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
7 lbs 8.0 oz  Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        75.00 %       
1 lbs         Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                    Grain        10.00 %       
1 lbs         Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                     Grain        10.00 %       
8.0 oz        Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        5.00 %       
1.00 oz       Cluster [7.40 %]  (60 min)                Hops         27.6 IBU     
1.00 oz       Liberty [3.00 %]  (25 min)                Hops         7.8 IBU       
1.00 oz       Liberty [3.00 %]  (15 min)                Hops         5.5 IBU       
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
3.00 items    Jalapeno Pepper (Secondary 10.0 days)     Misc                       
4.00 items    Jalapeno Pepper (Boil 15.0 min)           Misc                       
10.00 gal     Poland Spring (R)                         Water                     
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 12.50 qt of water at 162.5 F    151.0 F       

Notes:
------
Slit, rinse & roast Jalapenos 20-30 minutes at 350F, freeze immediately. Add 4 frozen Jalapenos at 15 mins boil.  Add 2-3 more frozen roasted jalapeno peppers to the secondary depending on how much heat. Peppers vary from crop to crop so use 5-7 depending on heat when tasting.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:58:50 am »
Noted. Thanks!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member