Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saaz and Cascade in an IPA?  (Read 12155 times)

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
Saaz and Cascade in an IPA?
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:36:10 am »
I've got about 4 oz. each of Czech Saaz and Cascade pellets and was thinking about using them in an IPA. Anybody ever tried this flavor/aroma combination?
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Saaz and Cascade in an IPA?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:42:31 am »
My concern would be that the Saaz would be overwhelmed by the Cascade, but I haven't actually done it.  Seems like the flavors would play well together as long as the Saaz came through.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:45:02 am »
Something like this?

Cascade 1.0 oz 60 minutes
Cascade 1.0 oz 15 minutes
Saaz 1.0 oz 15 minutes
Saaz 1.0 oz 1 minute
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 09:52:20 am »
@Oscarvan -- That's about what I was thinking, although I've actually got twice as many hops -- 8 oz. total, with 4 oz. of each variety. I was thinking maybe something like this:

2 oz. Cascade -- 60 min.
1 oz. Cascade -- 20 min.
.5 oz. Cascade -- 10 min.
1 oz. Saaz -- 5 min.
1 oz. Saaz -- 1 min.
2 oz. Saaz -- dry hop
.5 oz. Cascade -- dry hop
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:55:47 am »
That might work.  What's the AA of the hops?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 10:36:31 am »
Yes, with that number you can estimate the IBU's.... although if you want to do that yourself, this is an EXCELLENT tool.

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:39:39 am »
How big a batch you making? I love cascade as much as I love bacon. If I were you, I'd go all Cascade, and save the Saaz for a later brew.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:49:50 am »
I would think that depending on your grain bill you might be able to make a great Pale Ale!  This is just me thinking that the IBU's might come up a little low with Saaz and Cascade only, and not knowing the grain bill might fall a little short of your expectations for an IPA.  In either case the hop schedule you made looked ideal for what you have.  Just my opinion though. 
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 11:25:31 am »
I've used Saaz quite a bit. Flavor-wise they can be a bit "earthy" IMO if misused.  You could use them at the end for a nice aroma. However, I'm with the weaze and save them for another recipe. Maybe try Chinook or Columbus(!) for your bittering and the Cascade for the flavor and aroma additions.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 11:53:27 am »
If you're truely looking to use these together then you might try something like this.  (you'll have to tweak it to fit your gravity to bitterness ratio preference)

30-50% of bittering, Cascade @ FWH
50-70% of bittering, Cascade @ 60 min
1.5 oz Saaz @ 10 minutes
1.5 oz Saaz @ 5 - 0 minutes
remaining hops as dry hop addition

it's just a thought but I've used a similar setup to blend the flavor of delicate hops with big bold hops

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:52:35 pm »
OK, I'm noticing most of y'all are putting the Cascade up front and the Saaz at the end.  I just made a lager with the reverse.  Has a real skunky smell from the Cascade, I think I over did it...  Maybe now I see why y'all think the Saaz should finish...
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline srnoel

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 12:04:49 am »
I'm actually doing an IPA with these two hops.  Got the idea from Mosher's Radical Brewing book.  Doing the Belgain/American influenced IPA.  I think these two hops will work great in an IPA.

I went with:
FWH  - .5 oz Perle
30min -  2oz Saaz
10min - .5 oz Cascade
0min   - 1 oz Saaz
(3gal batch size)

Haven't brewed it yet because I can't decide if the hop schedule would blend well or not.  Went with Perle at the beginning because I like its bittering more than Cascade though, plus I got some Perle laying around.  Would be great to know what you finally decide on when ya brew, and I'd love to hear your results.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 01:32:06 am »
OK, I'm noticing most of y'all are putting the Cascade up front and the Saaz at the end.  I just made a lager with the reverse.  Has a real skunky smell from the Cascade, I think I over did it...  Maybe now I see why y'all think the Saaz should finish...
I don't know where the skunky smell is coming from in your beer, but I've never gotten that aroma from cascades.  Skunk typically comes from the beer being light-struck, any chance something like that happened to your batch?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 09:35:28 am »
I don't know where the skunky smell is coming from in your beer, but I've never gotten that aroma from cascades.  Skunk typically comes from the beer being light-struck, any chance something like that happened to your batch?
Some people tend to confuse skunky aromas with Saaz hop aromas.  They seem similar at first sniff, which is why I also thought it odd that Will was blaming the Cascades.  Maybe he overdid the Saaz?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:01:41 am »
Well, my descriptive vocabulary for tastes/smells is not that good.  It is definitely not light-struck.  I put a series of one of my pale ales in different colors of bottles in the sun to learn about this taste (surprisingly, green bottles protected the beer less that clear bottles, but brown bottles definitely provided protection, though not without some damage to the beer).  But you're right, noble hop aromas are similar to light struck aromas to me.

I opened one last night (now only two weeks in the bottle) and the smell is gone to be replaced with strong yeasty smell.  So you're right, I was quick to blame the Cascade.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:04:00 am by Will's Swill »
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?