Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator  (Read 7872 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Kegerator
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:18:46 am »
So I've decided to take the plunge and get a kegerator.  I'm trying to discern the difference in cost between buying a kit and likely a new small (dorm size) fridge or buying a kegerator outright.  I am looking for at least a 2 cornie keg capacity with a twin draft tower.  I've seen completed systems with co2 tank, 2 cornies, and everything else for around $750.  Does anyone have experience with building their own and if so what were the overall costs and labor time.  I'm not the handiest person around but could probably complete the task with adequate instruction.  Any advice?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Kegerator
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:48:32 am »
If you can try to find a used one on craig's list. Something like a Haier Kegerator actually is designed to hold a keg(s). Looking to the interior of the fridge you won't see the lip for the compressor, which reduces the ideal space. My point is you might even be able to place 4 kegs in one small fridge instead of 2.

I have a Sanyo 4912 which was around $180 spankin new. I can only fit 2 kegs in, but there are youtube videos on installing towers to this type of fridge.

Or you could go the freezer route, which will have it's "space complications" as well. To utilize it properly, you'll most likely will have to go bigger than smaller.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline djprint

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:56:06 pm »
I'm also looking at a kegerator and the price is $750 - $850 delivered with the dual tower, tanks, C02 canister, all connecting hoses, etc.  I'm thinking of buying the kegging equipment from Keg Connection and searching for a used/new refrigerator to convert, thereby saving the cost of the refrigerator and shipping.   Does anybody have any experience with Keg Connection? Would you recommend buying from them?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:19:49 pm »
Craigslist fridge with room for 6 and hops freezer below..... $50

three taps and all the accoutrements, $400 give or take.

One more tap to make it a four shooter will be another $50

The nice silver keggerators are cute, small and spensive.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:24:35 pm »

Cost to run it for a year....$3000.  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »

three taps and all the accoutrements, $400 give or take.

One more tap to make it a four shooter will be another $50

The nice silver keggerators are cute, small and spensive.
Is that a fridge w/ room for 6 kegs for $50?  Not bad.  I got an old Pepsi 'Display' fridge about 15 years ago for $100 - 3 glass doors, room enough for 4 kegs and my large CO2 tank (which I keep in the fridge).  The dang thing weighs 300lbs!  lol

However, this fridge isn't the best setup for mounting taps on the outside, so my kegs still all have cobra taps.  Maybe I need to think about upgrading to a shorter fridge w/ no windows, so I can install some tap towers on top...
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 01:35:11 pm »

Funny. At 45º it doesn't run that often this time of year. It's on the cold end of the house, my office is right next to it and I can hear it when it runs..... however....in summer the "mudroom" as the pantry is known will get toastier...
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:58:41 pm »
Quote from: denny on Today at 12:24:35 PM
Quote from: oscarvan on Today at 12:19:49 PM

Cost to run it for a year....$3000. 

Funny. At 45º it doesn't run that often this time of year. It's on the cold end of the house, my office is right next to it and I can hear it when it runs..... however....in summer the "mudroom" as the pantry is known will get toastier...

Irony is lost.....The cost to run includes the beer to be consumed....hence the $3,000.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 04:46:29 pm »
I also have a Sanyo 4912. Love it! Two kegs fit perfect. I installed 4 taps right on the door. Also has a nice rack for can on the inside of the door. I set it at 42*, and it hardly ever runs, especially when both kegs are full. The only drawback........they quit making them. IIRC, Kenmore makes one with the same dimensions, but I don not remember the model number. If you can find an old 4912 on craigslist, or elsewhere, I say go for it. It's a great little piece.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 05:05:05 pm »
I also have a Sanyo 4912. Love it! Two kegs fit perfect. I installed 4 taps right on the door. Also has a nice rack for can on the inside of the door. I set it at 42*, and it hardly ever runs, especially when both kegs are full. The only drawback........they quit making them. IIRC, Kenmore makes one with the same dimensions, but I don not remember the model number. If you can find an old 4912 on craigslist, or elsewhere, I say go for it. It's a great little piece.

Walmart still advertises the Sanyo 4912, for $249.  Don't know if this is the same one you have, Weaz, or a newer version. I was thinking of building a small kegerator myself here soon and I found it on their website. I have seen several people post conversion instructions for this fridge on other sites and they fit 2 kegs and a 5lb CO2 tank inside.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sanyo-5-Cu-Ft-Counter-High-All-Refrigerator-with-Platinum-Door/10779331
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 05:24:27 pm »
That looks like the one. Swore it had been discontinued. I keep my tank outside. It can fit inside, but it's a real puzzle to get in just right. It's easier for me to have it outside, then, if I need to make any adjustments to the preassure, or what ever, it's just right there. If you are in the market for a two tap fridgem you can't go wrong with it.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:44:06 pm »
Nice setup.  I'm glad it wasn't discountinued as it looks like a perfet keggerator fridge.  I was considering going with a 2-tap tower, but the through-door taps will eliminate the possibility of cutting the cooling lines in the top.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 07:52:22 pm »
Nice setup.  I'm glad it wasn't discountinued as it looks like a perfet keggerator fridge.  I was considering going with a 2-tap tower, but the through-door taps will eliminate the possibility of cutting the cooling lines in the top.

only bad thing about my setup is it's a little low, but I set it up on a table, and it works just right. Lot cheaper than a tower too. I like it.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 09:23:40 pm »

I'm using a fridge I bought new around the early 90's for the kitchen as my lagering/carbonating fridge.  I would like to buy an energy efficient modern one but I have a problem with the cost effectiveness.  I live in the desert southwest, have electric AC(6-8 months per year), electric water heater, 2 freezers for food, a chest freezer and fridge for beer, a fridge for food, a water well and a swimming pool with electric pump.  My electric bill for the year is UNDER $2000.  How much will I save by spending $600 on a new energy efficient fridge?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 07:12:33 am »
That looks like the one. Swore it had been discontinued. I keep my tank outside. It can fit inside, but it's a real puzzle to get in just right. It's easier for me to have it outside, then, if I need to make any adjustments to the preassure, or what ever, it's just right there. If you are in the market for a two tap fridgem you can't go wrong with it.

Very nice!  But I'm gonna suggest one small improvement:

Attach one of these to the front about a foot under the taps:

Then run the drain line to a big gulp cup or other resivoir inside the fridge.  ;) 

I'm gonna build myself one in the next year or so.  Gotta convince the wife. 

By the way - what are the interior dimensions of that fridge? 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:16:18 am by beer_monger »
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.