Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Version of a Belgian Tripel  (Read 7065 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: My Version of a Belgian Tripel
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 03:08:43 pm »
I brew a lot of tripels (I brew them weekly now) and IME simple is definitely better (pils and sugar is all you need), keep a long, low mash temp (I dough in at 148 for about 90 minutes) and there's simply no need to use anything but regular table sugar (the "inverted sugar" thing looks great as a theory but there is simply no real world "working evidence" to back it up as being needed IME). I get about 90% attenuation on a 1.077 tripel with 20% cane sugar and WLP500.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 03:24:36 pm »
I brew a lot of tripels (I brew them weekly now) and IME simple is definitely better (pils and sugar is all you need), keep a long, low mash temp (I dough in at 148 for about 90 minutes) and there's simply no need to use anything but regular table sugar (the "inverted sugar" thing looks great as a theory but there is simply no real world "working evidence" to back it up as being needed IME). I get about 90% attenuation on a 1.077 tripel with 20% cane sugar and WLP500.

Did you ever use WY 1388 Belgian Strong?  I split my recent batch half with this yeast (brewed almost exactly like yours, but I put the sugar in after the bulk of the primary had finished) and find this pretty "interesting."  Really floral nose, nice and dry.  Way too strong to drink a lot of it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 07:08:32 pm »
I may have.. But I am not at the luxury of using more than a couple strains in my brewery and since I use the WLP500 in my White I use it in my Tripel as well. Have to admit, might not be my "absolute favorite" but I do really enjoy the tripel it makes.

That's one of the luxuries of homebrewing I miss: being able to use any strain you want.

Edit: Actually, looking at the yeast chart of Mr. Malty I have not used that strain. I am not as familiar with the WY #s. (I mainly use WL) I have used the 3787 (or WL equivalent) and like that very well.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:24:49 am by majorvices »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 09:43:08 am »
3787 is my all time fave yeast for a tripel.  1388 is a nice yeast, but IMO, a bit too clean for a tripel. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 10:21:31 am »
Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions I've gotten here.  I'm in awe of the knowledge and experience you all have,and am greatful for the medium which allows you to share that with a noob like me.  I am going to tweak this recipe a bit, and if you are intersted, will let you know the final results.  Hopefully be brewing this weekend.  Thanks again, and Cheers!
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 10:27:31 am »
Yeah, please let us know what you come up with!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 10:39:38 am »
This past weekend I tried a St. Bernardus 8 Tripel agian after some time and found it to be just simply fantastic.

It's definitely well attenuated but yet has a medium mouthfeel. The hops make a nice presence as well. This beer a pale amber color and a flowery, fruity taste with a good balance between sweet and sour (8% alcohol content). This beer has a thick froth and strikes a balanced taste with a light bitterness.

To get your color up a bit I would go with a 90 min boil and pitch plenty of yeast in the low 60's.

Ron Price

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 11:01:34 am »
This past weekend I tried a St. Bernardus 8 Tripel agian after some time and found it to be just simply fantastic. 
I really like the St Bernardus ABT 12, also.  One of my faves!  There's a belgian beer pub in Denver called The Cheeky Monk that serves it on tap!

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 07:09:48 pm »
Ok, here is my revised edition:
12# Belgian pilsener
1 # Caravienne
1/2# Aromatic
Single step mash 149* for 90 min
1  oz styrian goldings  60 min
1/2 oz styrian goldings 30 min
1/2 oz crystal   10 min
1/2 oz crystal knockout
2 # sugar  15 min
1 tsp irish moss 15 min
1/4 tsp servomyces 10 min
 O/G  1.080
just racked into secondary after 3 weeks, gravity is at 1.010
Smells great, tastes great.  Can't wait for it to be finished!  Thanks to all of you guys for your advice.  It helped a lot