Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Schwarzbier recipe check  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Schwarzbier recipe check
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:34:12 am »
I had a Kulmbacher Mönchshof Schwarzbier last night and really want to make a black lager.  I put together a recipe loosely based on Kai's.  Any suggestions would be helpful since this is a new style for me.

Thanks!

Schwarzbier
4-C Schwarzbier (Black Beer)
Author: Matt Schwandt

Size: 5.15 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 77.0%
Calories: 171.42 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.052 (1.046 - 1.052)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.016)
Color: 21.16 (17.0 - 30.0)
Alcohol: 5.22% (4.4% - 5.4%)
Bitterness: 25.5 (22.0 - 32.0)

Ingredients:
7 lb Pilsner Malt
1 lb Light Munich
1 lb Dark Munich
.40 lb Caramunich® TYPE III
.40 lb Carafa Special® TYPE III
.10 lb Melanoidin Malt
.50 oz Magnum (12.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.50 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 gal WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

Notes
Single infusion batch sparge
- Saccharafication @ 152 [60 min]
- Mashout @ 165 [10 min]
- Sparge @ 170 [10 min]
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Schwarzbier recipe check
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:42:04 am »
Looks pretty good Matt.

The only thing I would add is a small Noble hop flavor addition to add some light to moderate noble hop flavor. I'm thinking about 3/4 oz of Hallertau or other low alpha hop at 20 minutes.
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 07:44:13 am »
Sounds good, Ron.  I'll do a small flavor/aroma addition (I have Crystal hops on hand, which should be a decent substitute for hallertau).
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:56 am »
Question: Is this the type of beer for which the Carafa is just a color addition or should I be aiming to get some flavor out of it too?  If it's the former, I'll likely just add it after the mash but prior to mashout.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 05:50:44 pm »
I've only had a few of the examples on the guidelines but there is a roasted flavor present, it just not quite a porter. Look at JZ's recipie, it has carafa, chocolate malt and roasted barley in it. It's probably more roasty than it should be but still must be good and won some awards.

My last one had 3/4 lb of carafa II special in the mash. I think my next one will only have a half pound. My favorite one I've made used chocolate malt. http://hopville.com/recipe/78866/schwarzbier-black-beer-recipes/george-schwarz-the-second

I like your recipe. I'd use more Munich and have some late addition. I want mine malty with a hint of hops.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:57:55 pm by Malticulous »

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 06:56:26 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, Malticulous -- I'll definitely keep them in mind.  If I were to add more Munich, do you think I should increase the amount of light and dark munich proportionally?  Or do you think one should be favored over the other?
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:11:32 pm »
The roast in Schwarzbiers ranges from non existent (brewed with dark crystal) to the level you find in a Porter. I think the best ones have a hint of roast. The kind of gentle roast that you get from dehusked Carafa.

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:52:01 am »
The roast in Schwarzbiers ranges from non existent (brewed with dark crystal) to the level you find in a Porter. I think the best ones have a hint of roast. The kind of gentle roast that you get from dehusked Carafa.

Kai

+1

I like the supporting role of the roastiness in a Schwarty. I like it on the smoother side of the spectrum, but that's just me. I agree in that the better examples have only a hint of roast. Too much roast only muddies the water and takes away from the beauty of this fine German Lager.
Ron Price

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:08:24 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, Malticulous -- I'll definitely keep them in mind.  If I were to add more Munich, do you think I should increase the amount of light and dark munich proportionally?  Or do you think one should be favored over the other?
I like Global Dark Munich. 10-20% of it adds a lot of deep malt flavor to any beer.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:14:56 pm by Malticulous »

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 01:00:00 pm »
Pawtucket Matt, did you make it? Have you sampled it?

I really enjoy exploring this style, and make at least one every winter. On Jan 6, I ventured forth again. This time I decided to push the limits of the style because my previous versions were ridiculously smooth (in a good way, of course ;-)

After looking at JZ's recipe, I went with 8 oz cara III special and 4 oz choc 375. Now as if that weren't risky enough for a 5-gallon batch of schwarzbier, I also had a mistaken impression of my water chemistry. It has far more mineral content than the six year old city water report (Ann Arbor) documents, as evidenced by the Ward Labs report I received just two days ago.

I sampled my schwarzier last night.

Stout.

Argh. Too much work for a stout!  

Eh, well, I guess I don't have to bother lagering it now. Although I probably will as I'm curious if it smooths out some. But it's just too much roast. Lesson learned. The presence of roast barley in JZ's recipe is curious to me, but then I should research the style more, in situ of course.

Better luck with yours Matt!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:02:59 pm by seajellie »

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 02:54:29 pm »
seajellie, I haven't brewed it yet!  I'm going to next weekend though. I opted for a German pilsner last weekend. I'm really looking forward to brewing the schwarz though.  ;D
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 05:40:23 pm »
I think Jeff posted something last summer about cold steeping the carafa malt to reduce the astringency/roast character. 

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 08:49:02 pm »
Just updating this thread to add some tasting notes.  The schwarzbier turned out fantastic!  It's got a nice clean malt character with just an appropriate amount of roastiness (definitely not a stout level of roast character).  The only thing I think I could improve on is getting more of that sort of raisin-like character that Kulmbacher Mönchshof has.  At least, that's what I identify with a schwarzbier since it's really the only commercial example I've had.  Other than that, this recipe is a winner.  Will definitely brew again.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 06:41:02 pm »
Thanks for the update Matt, I'll have to put this recipe or a facsimile thereof on the rotation next winter.

FWIW, the recipe I alluded to above is in the keg now and it turned out to be one of those "in between" beers, I think. Too heavy for a schwarzbier, but too clean to be a good stout or a porter. Very drinkable but not satisfying to me. It was roughly 2.1% choc, 5.4% carafa (III mostly, some II), 12% caramber or caramunich, 4.5% melanoidin, and the rest base. The roast covered up all underlying malt complexity and it ended up a bit one dimensional.

What's interesting though is I drained off the first five gallons to make the "unsatisfying" schwarzbier already mentioned. I left the other five gallons to boil down to an OG of 62 (vs. 51), and pitched it with the WL Zurich (Samiclaus) yeast. That ended up excellent! Perhaps a bit "light" on the Baltic Porter scale, but a wonderful version for my taste (that likes to have two of everything). I'm very happy with that experiment.

As the last dark lager of the season I made a version of a Bohem Dunkel based on Horst Dornbusch's U Fleku clone; I just backed off the caramunich to 11% and upped the munich and carafa. It is in primary and tastes promising.... his recipe is here:

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/publications/the-new-brewer/online-extras/show?title=style-spotlight-bohemian-dunkel