Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boosting body of over-attenuated beer  (Read 2397 times)

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
Boosting body of over-attenuated beer
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:34:07 am »
I have a small (2.5g) batch of an oddball beer ready for bottling.  In truth it can't really be called beer, there is no malt of any form in it.  I'll simply called it a "fermented beverage" for lack of a better term.  The only fermentable used was turbinado sugar, the flavor is contributed strictly by some herbs used in place of hops.  OG was 1.042.  I checked the FG about 6 days ago and got 1.008.  It was pretty dry but had some good, subtle flavors.  It was actually pretty refreshing, even at room temp and uncarbonated!

I was about to bottle it yesterday and took another gravity reading just to be certain.  It had dropped to 1.000-1.001.  I checked, checked and checked again.  Sure enough, it looks as though all of the sugars had fermented out!  Instead of tasting pleasantly refreshing it now tastes harsh and overly dry.  I know of people who have used malto dextrin to increase body, but is that something I can do just prior to bottling?  There is a LHBS with some in stock I could zip over and pick up before I bottle today.

Thanks!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Boosting body of over-attenuated beer
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:44:48 am »
Yep. You can add it to taste before bottling.
Brew on

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:47:49 am »
This might be an opportunity to blend with another beer. :D If you didn't, now you know "sugar" will almost certainly ferment completely out. It makes a poor choice as a sole fermentable unless one plans to halt the fermentation.

So what you could do is add more sugar, juice or malt along with potassium metabisulfite (campden tablets) to stun the yeast and halt fermentation to near zero. Then store the beverage cold.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:05:46 am »
Around hear a "fermented beverage" with sugar as the only fermentable with something added for flavor is known as Trailer Park Chateau. Just saying....

KoolAid works well.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:35:47 am »
Around hear a "fermented beverage" with sugar as the only fermentable with something added for flavor is known as Trailer Park Chateau. Just saying....

KoolAid works well.

Hahahaha, I love it.  I'll go pick up some malto dextrin this afternoon.  Thanks for the help folks!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:44:31 am »

KoolAid works well.

Hahahaha, I love it.  I'll go pick up some malto dextrin this afternoon.  Thanks for the help folks!

Just remember it won't sweeten it, just boost body and mouthfeel.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:14:33 pm »
My other thought was to sweeten it at serving with something easily soluble like agave syrup, light honey, superfine sugar or the like.  I may end up doing the malto dextrin for mouth feel and body (thanks for the heads up Euge, I've obviously never used the stuff) and something else to sweeten it with.

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:54:03 am »
This might be an opportunity to blend with another beer. :D
Pickin' up on Euge's suggestion, just last night I saw on BJ's Brewhouse Menu several selections of Beer-Cider combinations for sale.  News to me.  I didn't know it was done.  I've got some Cider at home that is pretty dry and plain tasting, so I might give it a try.  It might save you a lot of trouble.
Kirk Howell