Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Falconers Flight Hops  (Read 16723 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Falconers Flight Hops
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 07:26:14 am »
In order to end this whole ordeal, yins can send me the balance of the FF hops that you have.  No sense in everyone arguing about them.  I'll brew with them and everyone can sleep easier at this point.  I'll pay for the shipping and all will be well. 

No argument on the FF hops for me. You can't have 'em, and I'm probably gonna order about 66 lbs here in a week or two assuming it is available.  ;)

Re: Citra. Last year I made a pale ale around 60 BUs with all citra and I really didn't care for it at all. It was a beer I made annually and normally used all Amarillo with. The beer reminded me of that fruit flavored tea you find at some restaurants. Yuck! This was during the brewery build and I brought all 10 gallons down there and let the guys have at it. Most of them liked it very well, but not me.

Later I found that a light touch of citra blended with other hops turns out wonderful! I have a couple of pounds of it stored away and plan on using it lightly in a Saison later on this summer. I think the fruity "mango" character would go very well with the tart, spicy and fruity saison yeast.

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 08:55:53 am »
Forgot I posted this! 

Thanks for the replies.  Think I'll try 5 gal of a wheat pale and then see if I want to bother with an IPA.  If it doesn't turn out I have a friend that'll gladly trade some beer.

It doesn't take much citra before a beer reminds me of cat urine but I have noticed this character fades to a point that it doesn't bother me. 

One of my theories for why this has such a strong association for me has to do with an old friend with a cat that pissed everywhere and love for the dank.  I think I might have developed some association between the two or at least the combination smell of his house.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 04:09:09 pm »
Well my IPA is on tap. I'd say these hops have a aroma like Simcoe and a flavor more like Columbus. The bitterness seems lower than calculated.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 10:04:26 am »
And it appears all 80,000 lb. are sold out at Hop Union.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 12:33:55 pm »
Finally tried it last night in one of Nathan Smith's IPAs.  Seemed like a lot of the Simcoe was coming through.  Tasty hop blend, though.  It should make a really nice hoppy beer as long as you don't muddle it up with too much crystal or darker malts.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 01:25:47 pm »
And it appears all 80,000 lb. are sold out at Hop Union.
[/quote/]
What a teaser, I was wondering where I could get some of these. :(
Dan Chisholm

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 01:39:06 pm »
I think the stores all have their stock for the year of most hops. This is where I got mine.
https://morebeer.com/view_product/11833/beerwinecoffee/Hop_Pellets_-_Fulkoners_Flight_8_oz

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 01:45:35 pm »
Thank you Malticulous!
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 02:48:14 pm »
I think the stores all have their stock for the year of most hops. This is where I got mine.
https://morebeer.com/view_product/11833/beerwinecoffee/Hop_Pellets_-_Fulkoners_Flight_8_oz

Holy cow, $18/lb.!

And it's Falconer, dammit!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 03:12:00 pm »
The real link spells it different?
https://morebeer.com/view_product/11836/103828/Falconers_Flight_Pellet_Hops
The other link is from my kart.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 04:11:17 pm »
The real link spells it different?
https://morebeer.com/view_product/11836/103828/Falconers_Flight_Pellet_Hops
The other link is from my kart.

Cool...glad they got it right there.  Glen was a friend and I don't want to see his name screwed up.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 05:16:06 pm »
I'd rather have Simcoe and Amarillo. I'm still getting Simcoe/Columbus with some fruity stuff going on.