Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck and Stalled Fermentation-  (Read 1647 times)

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
Stuck and Stalled Fermentation-
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:32:02 pm »
I'll try to make this as short and sweet as possible.

Been out of the homebrewing scene for about 8 years and just recently got back into.  The first batch I attempted (since being back) was an Imperial Porter, but not knowing I was making an Imperial Porter.  I basically took the majority of any "older" ingredients I had and was going to make a batch.  Not doing any research on high gravity beers and the types of yeast I should use I pitched a dry yeast at 70 degrees and with an OG of 1.090.  Needless to say everything stalled out at 1.042 and never got it going again after another 30-45 days.  I went ahead and primed it, bottled a six pack, and kegged the rest. 

It has now been aging for for 3 months and I periodically (about once a month) taste a bottle just to see if there is any improvement.  There isn't.  I am just about to the point of dumping the keg because it sucks so bad and doesn't even remotely have a beer taste (way to sweet)

...Finally, here is my question.  Can I take what is primed and kegged, put it back into a fermentation vessel  and add a more powerful liquid yeast strain to try and eat up some of the sugars? 

I'm sure this may result in some "off" flavors,  but if it makes it tolerable and drinkable, it would be better than dumping it.

Any assistance would be wonderful.  My feelings will not be hurt if you tell me to dump it because there is no hope.
Primary: Belgian Wheat IPA, Vlad the IPAler
Secondary:  Iced Oatmeal Dunkelweizen
Kegged:  Baron Von IPWEIZEN, Dunkelweizen
Bottled: De Perverse Monnik Tripel
Next Up: Bog Nog Black IPA, Wake N Bake Clone, Breadbasket Wheat

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Re: Stuck and Stalled Fermentation-
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:59:05 pm »
I'd take a stab at it.  I'm sure you will get more expertise to follow.  What I would do first is decarbonate it.  I would rack it into a carboy or bucket, and let it sit for a while (maybe a week?), at room temp, with no air lock, maybe just an empty s-shaped airlock.  I wouldn't be too concerned about contamination because after all, it is beer, and the alcohol helps protect it.  Then, I'd make a starter, repitch the yeast and give it about two or three weeks to finish, all the while being excited about how it will taste.  Good Luck!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:17:13 pm by kecfic »
Kirk Howell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Stuck and Stalled Fermentation-
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16:20 pm »
You could actually ferment it in the keg.  I've never done so, but others have.

This would reduce your chances of oxidation.

Here's a link to a BYO article: http://www.byo.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/41-lagering/1518-the-key-to-better-lager-cornelius-kegs

There are other write ups out there as well.

Obviously, de-gas it as noted above and bring it up to cellar temp if you've got it in a fridge.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton