Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diacetyl Rest Timing  (Read 1263 times)

Offline spowlison

• Cellarman
Diacetyl Rest Timing
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:00 pm »
I've heard a few different timetables as to when you should begin a diacetyl rest for a lager--everything ranging from one week to three weeks. I'm coming up on three weeks in primary now, and it's still bubbling away. However, it's worth noting that it took a good five days or so before I saw activity in the airlock. So is there something to look for when deciding when it's time to bring it up to rest? Should the bubbling be pretty well settled before a diacetyl rest? Is that irrelevant? I want to make sure the yeast has plenty of time to work its magic.

Similarly, it sounds like peoples' diacetyl rests can be anywhere from 36 hours to one week in duration. Are their guidelines here or things to watch for?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Diacetyl Rest Timing
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:32:12 pm »
When I anticipate fermentation is about finished, I take a gravity sample.  After getting a reading, I taste it.  If I taste diacetyl, I do a rest.  If not, I don't.  If I do, it's usually for about 3 days.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline spowlison

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:37:38 pm »
Ah that seems like a pretty good reason to take a gravity reading. I should probably start doing that eh?  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:44:57 pm »
Yeah, you might want to think about it....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell