Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kilt wearing  (Read 9768 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Kilt wearing
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 09:25:56 pm »
That kilt is all over e-bay. I just grabbed the first link I saw. Think this is the direction I'm leaning. As much as I want the UK, that is a bunch of coin to spend on a man-skirt.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

boulderbrewer

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 11:22:24 pm »
Funny! Very Funny! You da Man!!!!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 12:57:35 am »
Can someone explain to me the fascination with Kilts? 

If you aren't Scottish - should you really be wearing one?  I didn't think so - but many seem to be these days. 

The same could be said for, say, bolo ties or Cowboy boots. If you aren't actually on a horse, you shouldn't be wearing them!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 01:08:03 am »
If you can afford it you should probably have one tailor-made.

I got mine tailor-made from Rocky at USA Kilts. Highly, highly recommend him. But yeah, they're expensive. But you get the whole shebang (Prince Charlie outfit), it's what I got for my wedding: http://www.usakilts.com/store/premiumkilt2_packpage.php

Here's a few pics from our wedding.

Although I gotta say the piper beat me out for most outrageous kilt utilization:
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 01:22:52 am »
I got mine tailor-made from Rocky at USA Kilts. Highly, highly recommend him. But yeah, they're expensive.
Uh, yeah.  Expensive.  But awesome too, some day I might have budget for that! ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 04:31:08 am »
Also, funny story. Wore my kilt to a buddy's wedding in Chicago, afterwards we walked to Millennium Park to do photos and then lunch at the restaurant attached to the new wing of the Art Institute. To get to the restaurant you have to go up a foot bridge, and there's a security guard there. He made my buddy drink and throw away his water bottle for 'safety reasons.' I walked right past. As soon as we got in the restaurant, my buddy said, "Dude, he made me throw away a bottle of water but he let you just waltz right in with a friggin' knife in your sock and a flask of whisky in your sporran!"

Speaking of security theater, every time I go through an airport with my kilt (well, just the once actually) I pack it carry-on. Only time I took it with me, the TSA guy going through my luggage pulls my stuff aside for secondary screening, as soon as he sees the kilt and sporran he says, "hey, nice kilt!" And that's it, off to the gate. Again with liquor and sgian dubh.
----

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 06:12:01 am »
I dunno.  I think I'd want you wearing it on the plane.  Terrorist vs. dude in kilt.  My money's on the dude in kilt.  Ask the Roman Empire how that worked out.  Oh, that's right, they aren't around any more.

Nice weddings pics, btw.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 06:33:07 am »
I got mine tailor-made from Rocky at USA Kilts. Highly, highly recommend him. But yeah, they're expensive. But you get the whole shebang (Prince Charlie outfit), it's what I got for my wedding: http://www.usakilts.com/store/premiumkilt2_packpage.php

Interesting how others perceptions can become skewed while wearing a kilt. Is it an intimidation factor?

Perhaps lifting the kilt would be pretty scary.  ;)

...oh and nice wedding shots.
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 06:33:42 am »
I dunno.  I think I'd want you wearing it on the plane.  Terrorist vs. dude in kilt.  My money's on the dude in kilt.  Ask the Roman Empire how that worked out.  Oh, that's right, they aren't around any more.

Ha! Exactly. I've got a weapon of mass destruction to show ya right heeeere, buddy!
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 06:36:12 am »

Interesting how others perceptions can become skewed while wearing a kilt. Is it an intimidation factor?

I'd like to think we have Braveheart to thank for that.
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 11:06:54 am »
Speaking of security theater, every time I go through an airport with my kilt (well, just the once actually) I pack it carry-on. Only time I took it with me, the TSA guy going through my luggage pulls my stuff aside for secondary screening, as soon as he sees the kilt and sporran he says, "hey, nice kilt!" And that's it, off to the gate. Again with liquor and sgian dubh.
Figures.  I had a bottle opener confiscated at the airport in Denver because it had that little 1 inch blade that you use to scrape the wax off of the bottle.  Ridiculous.  There are more dangerous things already on the plane.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 11:35:32 am »
I'd put my money on the guy in a kilt too... A bottle opener? You could mess someone up with a pencil or magazine ala Jason Bourne style easier than that tiny dull blade.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 11:45:01 am »
Considering I live in 'New Scotland' I'm fine with the kilt.  I wanted to wear one at my own wedding, but didn't for 2 reasons:
1) the price
2) it was much easier to do nothing and let my wife plan everything  ;)
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

ccarlson

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 01:31:02 pm »
One man's kilt is another man's dress.  ;D

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 01:36:01 pm »
One man's kilt is another man's dress.  ;D
There's a guy in my office who wore kilts for years. When he turned 40 he said screw it.

Now, he wears skirts - with blouses (with a stuffed bra), nylons and painted nails (hot pink is one of his favorite colors to use) every day.  But he is not effeminate.  He's not trying to look like a woman.  Apparently, he just prefers women's clothes/fashions and decided he didn't care what anyone thought anymore.

We're all used to it in the office, but I can imagine what visitors who see him must think...   lol
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.