Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Software for Mac  (Read 5995 times)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Brewing Software for Mac
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 01:12:14 pm »
Can't you install Wine and run ProMash on Mac?  I do it on Linux.
I can barely turn the thing on.  Not much of a computer person so unless it's easy and straightforward, I'm at a loss.  I'm sure it's good advice but I have no idea what Wine is.
Wine is a windows emulator, allowing you to run windows apps on your mac. dosn't require you to actually load windows on the mac.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 01:37:11 pm »
Easy ROT w/ room temp grains and preheated mashtun: strike temp = desired mash temp + 13. Units in *F.

Yeah, but what about the mash thickness?  I would change quite a bit from 1 Qt/# to 2 Qt/#.

Try this

[ ( 0.2 / QRTS PER LB ) * ( MASH TEMP - GRAIN TEMP ) + MASH TEMP  ] = STRIKE WATER TEMP

THIS DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT HEAT LOSS DUE TO MASH TUN THERMAL MASS
Dan S. from NJ

Offline colinhayes

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 06:07:12 pm »
Look for a program called WineBottler.  It'll make a bootable app out of beersmith that requires no knowledge of wine. http://www.wells-inc.com/howto-beersmith-on-a-mac-with-wine for directions on using winebottler.

or just go with beeralchemy, it works great for me.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 08:55:13 pm »
Thanks everyone. What I'm really after is a method for figuring out my strike temperature for the water that will be added to my grain.

The BrewMath app does that....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 10:47:32 pm »
Thanks everyone. What I'm really after is a method for figuring out my strike temperature for the water that will be added to my grain.

The BrewMath app does that....
Thanks Oscarvan.

Brewmath hs now been downloaded to my iPod.  Now I just have to spend some time checking it out.  Another unproductive day at work I guess...

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 09:30:25 am »
Beer Tools (beertools.com) runs on a mac, and I know several people who swear by it, though I use beer alchemy.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 07:53:15 pm »
Can't you install Wine and run ProMash on Mac?  I do it on Linux.
Way to go!!!
I do it to that way.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 08:09:06 pm »
Easy ROT w/ room temp grains and preheated mashtun: strike temp = desired mash temp + 13. Units in *F.

Yeah, but what about the mash thickness?  I would change quite a bit from 1 Qt/# to 2 Qt/#.

Whoops, @ 1.3qts/lb.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline pfooti

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 05:54:25 pm »
I use beertools pro on the mac. I'm fairly satisfied with it; it's overly complex and has a few niggly issues, but overall it does a good job at predicting things like strike temp and so on, once you have calibrated everything.

You can also use BeerPal for the iDevice. It costs like $0.99. I bought it and use it to mark down recipes when the inspiration strikes me. It also does a decent job at strike water temp and sparge volume predictions.

Finally, there's also the rackers calculators linked earlier in this thread. They're pretty good, but the formula there just assumes a 3F drop from the thermal mass of your tun. Not that big of a deal, especially once you've brewed a few times, as you'll quickly figure out your own fudge factor.