Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxyclean...I'm doing something wrong...  (Read 16159 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Oxyclean...I'm doing something wrong...
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:19:46 pm »
I can't figure out why I'm consistently getting a white residue on my equipment (kegs, plastic hoses) that I soak in Oxyclean.  After a hot water rinse, I'm now forced to douche everything with vinegar/water to remove the white film.  My only suspicion is that overnight soaking is the culprit, i.e., too long.  How long do you soak your equipment in Oxyclean?`

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oxyclean...I'm doing something wrong...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:16 pm »
I never go more than about 3 hours.  Also, your water can make a difference.  Is it pretty hard?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:29:03 pm »
I soak with oxyclean no longer than a few minutes. IMO it's not really an extended "soaking" product. It performs best with agitation and very hot water.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:31:15 pm »
and very hot water.

but not too hot - if you go over 150df, it will cause a white film to form even if only soaking for 1-2 min.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:31:53 pm »
I never considered using Oxy clean to clean any of my brewing equipment.  I usb PBW Keg Wash and Star San.  

Is Oxyclean considered an acceptable substitute?  
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:33:17 pm »
Is Oxyclean considered an acceptable substitute?  

Heck, yes.  It's essentially the same as PBW, but not identical.  I've used Oxyclean for the bulk of my brewery cleaning for 13 years.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 01:34:29 pm »
My intention is to only soak my Better Bottles with Oxyclean for 30-60 minutes, but it ends up being 4-7 days because I forget, get lazy, or just plain don't want to do it right away.  When I do clean, I dump most of it out, shake the h3ll out of it, then rinse with hot tap water to clean it out.  No real problems with film.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:39:29 pm »
I believe the guy from 5 Star said on Brew Strong that PBW has a chelator, where Oxyclean does not.  So there is less chance of hard water scale build up or something like that.

I think I need to relisten to that episode.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 01:51:05 pm »
I believe the guy from 5 Star said on Brew Strong that PBW has a chelator, where Oxyclean does not.  So there is less chance of hard water scale build up or something like that.

You're correct.  I use Oxiclean most of the time and about every 3 cleanings I use PBW to remove the tough organic stuff.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 03:45:56 pm »
Like euge I use oxyclean to clean then immediately rinse, I never let it soak for more than a few minutes unless its something that is seriously stained like my gold coffee filter, which i'll let sit for a few hours or overnight depending how bad it is.

BTW, if you have a dollar store near you they sell a small bucket of an oxyclean knockoff, saves a ton of money.

Tony
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 03:50:29 pm »
What I've been doing lately for the hard to remove/inaccessible crud on my plastic and glass is to use sodium hydroxide.  I don't have any PBW but do have a #10 tub of lye.  It'll remove stains and residue. This does soak for a while. Overnight works well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline badhorsie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 06:11:11 pm »
When you say oxyclean do you mean oxyclean free? I was always told that regular oxyclean had perfume in it?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 07:43:21 pm »
When you say oxyclean do you mean oxyclean free? I was always told that regular oxyclean had perfume in it?

Yeah, the "free" is the best for just that reason
Joe

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »
I believe the guy from 5 Star said on Brew Strong that PBW has a chelator, where Oxyclean does not.  So there is less chance of hard water scale build up or something like that.

You're correct.  I use Oxiclean most of the time and about every 3 cleanings I use PBW to remove the tough organic stuff.

OK.  Considering this, I'll stick with PBW. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:32 pm »
Safeway sells a percarbonate cleanser (Oxyclean knockoff) that appears to have no perfumes and is very inexpensive. I have tubs of it all over the house, and one set aside for brewing. I do let bottles sit in it sometimes for weeks in a Homer bucket and they seem fine. Plastic tubing, on the other hand, clouds up quickly.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member