Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Metallic taste in bottles  (Read 4093 times)

Offline phisig47

• 1st Kit
Metallic taste in bottles
« on: April 27, 2011, 01:51:43 pm »
I bottled a 12 pack of a Bock. I used Cooper's priming drops in order to bottle condition this portion of the batch, 1 drop per bottle. The rest of the beer was put into a Keg and carbinated via CO2. The Keg beer tasted good and had no off flavors. On Sunday I opened one of the bottles. The beer appeared to be over carbinated and had a very strong metallic taste. Does anyone know what may have caused this and what can be done to prevent this in the future? Thanks!   

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Metallic taste in bottles
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:55:25 pm »
could it be infected? was the foam really rocky and firm?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phisig47

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:59:58 pm »
I don't believe so...The foam did not appear other than normal, outside of the fact that on the inital pour the glass was a little more than 50% foam. Is this something that would be isolated to just the one beer? The rest of the batch appears/ appeared fine when it was drank.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 02:03:32 pm »
I don't believe so...The foam did not appear other than normal, outside of the fact that on the inital pour the glass was a little more than 50% foam. Is this something that would be isolated to just the one beer? The rest of the batch appears/ appeared fine when it was drank.

It's possible, if there was something in that one bottle that is the cause...  Like maybe some little nasty thing that was stuck so good to the bottle it wouldn't wash/sanitize out(?) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline phisig47

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:08:12 pm »
Maybe...The bottles were Sanatized with StarSan but it is possible. I'll open another and see if it happens there as well. 

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:16:47 pm »
Maybe...The bottles were Sanatized with StarSan but it is possible. I'll open another and see if it happens there as well. 

Did you jet-wash them first (or otherwise clean them - more than just a rinse) before sanitizing?  I've had bottles before w/ that had something nasty caked in them so good I just had to throw the bottle out.   I keg mostly now (and bottle from the kegs). 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline phisig47

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 02:23:48 pm »
I jet wash and check to ensure the sediment is gone when they are emptied and hang on a rack to dry, then sanatize prior to filling the bottles. This is the first time anything like this has happened in the last 5 years

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »
if it's just one bottle than it could be infected or is it possible that you accidentally dropped two carb drops in that one?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 04:34:26 am »
I bottled a 12 pack of a Bock. I used Cooper's priming drops in order to bottle condition this portion of the batch, 1 drop per bottle. The rest of the beer was put into a Keg and carbinated via CO2. The Keg beer tasted good and had no off flavors. On Sunday I opened one of the bottles. The beer appeared to be over carbinated and had a very strong metallic taste. Does anyone know what may have caused this and what can be done to prevent this in the future? Thanks!   

Is this just one bottle or are you having problems with the entire bottled batch?

I can think of a couple of possible problems:

1) Some metallic ions (e.g., nickel) can promote gushing.
2) Oxidation can sometimes produce metallic-tasting notes. That plus some sort of infection (which chewed up some of the sweetness that would have hidden the metallic notes) accounted for the gushing.