Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxyclean...I'm doing something wrong...  (Read 16172 times)

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Re: Oxyclean...I'm doing something wrong...
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 07:32:03 am »
I use OxiClean with water that has been run through an ion replacement system (water "softener").  It seems to eliminate the need for a chelator, I assume because the sodium that replaces the calcium in the softener's resin bed forms salts that don't stick the way calcium carbonate does.  I'm no chemistry expert!  But I can say that I never have a problem with inorganic buildup on my equipment, even after soaking in OxiClean solution for long periods.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 09:25:09 am »
When you say oxyclean do you mean oxyclean free? I was always told that regular oxyclean had perfume in it?

Either one.  I use the Versatile and always have.  There is no scent from it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:56:08 am »
When you say oxyclean do you mean oxyclean free? I was always told that regular oxyclean had perfume in it?

Either one.  I use the Versatile and always have.  There is no scent from it.

There is to me, which is why when OxiClean Free became unavailable in this area, I stopped buying Oxiclean. It's a soapy-perfumey odor. Every nose is sui generis...
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 10:21:06 am »
I agree that Versatile does have a scent to it.  But I've never noticed it carry over to any of my beers.  Usually I can't detect it on the equipment right after cleaning if I've rinsed it well.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 10:28:52 am »
I agree that Versatile does have a scent to it.  But I've never noticed it carry over to any of my beers.  Usually I can't detect it on the equipment right after cleaning if I've rinsed it well.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say.  There is certainly no "Oxiclean aroma" that ends up in my beers.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 11:06:08 am »
I use Versatile as well because it's super-cheap at Costco.  The fragrance is not very strong (compared to that of other detergents), and neither I nor any judges have detected any perfumy house character to my beers.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 11:09:33 am »
I've encountered the same issues with oxyclean (or any similar percarbonate cleanser) for long soaks of any type of material, be it corny kegs, vinyl tubing, plastic buckets, whatever.  The residue is rock hard and can be removed from the inside of a corny keg with manual scrubbing.  "Whitened" plastic tubing just needs to be tossed--there's no salvaging it with vinegar or any other chemical, IMO.  I've stopped using it because it just leaves a white film on everything that then requires manual scrubbing to remove.  Rinsing alone does not remove it from bottles and kegs.

I suspect the issue is the water profile--mine has a high alkalinity (see Jacksonville, FL).  I'd love to hear what Martin B or any other water chem expert has to say about the situation.  I'm curious:  What is the white residue and why does it occur for some of us and not others?

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 11:21:29 am »
I guess I'd better clean my kegs soon.  I've had one soaking with PBW in it for about 9 days now.  lol
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:55 pm »
I believe the guy from 5 Star said on Brew Strong that PBW has a chelator, where Oxyclean does not.  So there is less chance of hard water scale build up or something like that.

You're correct.  I use Oxiclean most of the time and about every 3 cleanings I use PBW to remove the tough organic stuff.
Is this pretty necessary?  I never do this.  Usually after a keg kicks, I rinse it out with water really well and run some through the lines.  Every few times I'll run Oxyclean through and let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse with water.  Should I be doing this with PBW instead?  Or BLC?
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 12:43:24 pm »
Is this pretty necessary?  I never do this.  Usually after a keg kicks, I rinse it out with water really well and run some through the lines.  Every few times I'll run Oxyclean through and let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse with water.  Should I be doing this with PBW instead?  Or BLC?

Nope, it's not.  After talking to one of the 5 Star guys at NHC about how PBW was better for organic residue, though, I decided to try a test.  I cleaned some buckets with Oxiclean.  Then when they were really clean, I cleaned them again with PBW.  The PBW seemed to darken like it was removing stuff that the Oxi hadn't gotten.  I decided that PBW probably did a better job than Oxi, but not enough better to justify the expense of using it every time.  I still think Oxi does a great job.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:09 pm »
Denny, an overnight lye soak completely removed the discoloration my fermenters took on. They looked brand-new. However, it isn't cheap, but since I have a bunch of it- why not eh?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 01:29:12 pm »
Denny, an overnight lye soak completely removed the discoloration my fermenters took on. They looked brand-new. However, it isn't cheap, but since I have a bunch of it- why not eh?

Sure.  But in my case I don't think I want to put lye into my septic system.  Plus PBW worked great.  Plus, I don't have lye around like you do!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 01:30:55 pm »
Sure.  But in my case I don't think I want to put lye into my septic system.  Plus PBW worked great.  Plus, I don't have lye around like you do!  ;)

umm, I am going to be on a septic system soon.  so you're telling me I can't use lye any more?  good to know, now.  doh.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 01:34:51 pm »

umm, I am going to be on a septic system soon.  so you're telling me I can't use lye any more?  good to know, now.  doh.

Well, Paul, I'm guessing since I'm not a chemist.  But I generally try to keep stuff like that out of the system. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 01:35:12 pm »

Nope, it's not.  After talking to one of the 5 Star guys at NHC about how PBW was better for organic residue, though, I decided to try a test.  I cleaned some buckets with Oxiclean.  Then when they were really clean, I cleaned them again with PBW.  The PBW seemed to darken like it was removing stuff that the Oxi hadn't gotten.  I decided that PBW probably did a better job than Oxi, but not enough better to justify the expense of using it every time.  I still think Oxi does a great job.
So it's safe to say that I could clean all my equipment and my beer lines with Oxyclean and shouldn't have a problem.
That's encouraging to know.  The brewing cleaning stuff isn't cheap.
Jesse