Author Topic: Oxyclean...I'm doing something wrong...  (Read 6232 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oxyclean...I'm doing something wrong...
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:16 PM »
So it's safe to say that I could clean all my equipment and my beer line with Oxyclean and shouldn't have a problem.
That's encouraging to know.  The brewing cleaning stuff isn't cheap.

I'd say that.  Oxi was all I used for about 10 years and I never had a problem.  I just got more OCD than I was!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »
Sure.  But in my case I don't think I want to put lye into my septic system.  Plus PBW worked great.  Plus, I don't have lye around like you do!  ;)

umm, I am going to be on a septic system soon.  so you're telling me I can't use lye any more?  good to know, now.  doh.

Well, Paul, I'm guessing since I'm not a chemist.  But I generally try to keep stuff like that out of the system. 
If you dilute lye enough it is harmless to your septic system, but for amount you'll use to clean carboys and such it is probably too much unless you have a monster house.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »
I am on a septic...... No sanitizer, PBW or anything goes in to it. That's what the floor drain in the barn is for.... Where does that go? Well, there's a really lush green spot outside...... ::)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »
As far as I know, starsan and pbw can go straight into the septic.  Some of mine definitely goes down there.
Tom Schmidlin

beveragebob

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
Here's a few products that are real affordable:

Bru-R-EzT.M.
I00122    A powerful detergent blend for use on all metals in the brewery. Clean mashtuns, brew kettles, fermentors, heat exchangers, kegs, tap lines, etc. quicker and more effectively than with caustic products. Ultra rinsability – leaves a perfect shine on any metal. Used for CIP or hand scrubbing to remove protein, oil and grease without the use of searing caustics. Non-solvent, non-caustic, non-phenol.    P
Cell-R-MastrT.M.
I00148    A powerful detergent blend to clean mashtuns, brew kettles, fermentors, heat exchangers, kegs, tap lines, etc. more quickly and effectively than caustic products. Ultra-rinsability leaves a perfect shine on any metal. Used for CIP or hand scrubbing to remove protein, oil and grease without the use of caustic products. Non-solvent, non-caustic, non-phenol.

Here's the website. I've gotten lactic acid, antifoam products etc from them directly even though they service the "big boys"
Just send them an email and you'll get a price list real quick. NAYYY

http://www.birkocorp.com/Products.html

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 10:40:49 PM »
What minimum quantities do they sell? That's how I ended up with a surplus of sodium hydroxide. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

beveragebob

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »
I'm at work right now so, I don't have access to the products and price list but, for instance, I paid ~ 25 bucks + reasonable shipping for their anti foam(1 gallon) patcote-360 (olive oil based anti foam emulsion that works great. because of the FA's in the olive oil, O2 in the wort is optional)
I think it it's best to just email them so, they can send you the list directly. They seem pretty big on legal proprietary stuff so, I'd feel more comfortable if anyone interested inquire directly.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 10:52:41 PM »
That's cool. I'll shoot'em a line. Thanks.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline kgs

• Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »
I agree that Versatile does have a scent to it.  But I've never noticed it carry over to any of my beers.  Usually I can't detect it on the equipment right after cleaning if I've rinsed it well.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say.  There is certainly no "Oxiclean aroma" that ends up in my beers.

I hear you, and am not challenging your experience, but I wouldn't use it anyway, because of the aroma. I can smell it on laundry and on other things I use it on. Brewing isn't the only thing I use it for.

Edit: I may be imagining the fragrance, but since I'm convinced of it, using an alternative product I feel more confident in makes me a happier homebrewer. We all have our little superstitions!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:04:08 AM by kgs »
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 02:56:49 PM »
I switched to Oxyclean Free after I ran out of PBW.  I haven't experienced any build up in my fermentors or kegs.  I have pretty soft water though.

When I read the OP I laughed really loud regarding a particular phrase about the vinegar procedure.  Just a word of advice; modern medicine currently recommends against "douching."  LOL  ;D
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
I'm glad this post came up. There is a better bottle that has been soaking with oxiclean on the back porch for about a month now. Guess it needs to be dumped and rinsed.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 05:44:55 AM »
So it's safe to say that I could clean all my equipment and my beer lines with Oxyclean and shouldn't have a problem.
That's encouraging to know.  The brewing cleaning stuff isn't cheap.

That's all I ever used. I'm not a fan of letting my stuff sit with crap in them. Within a day or to of kicking a keg, i fill it half full with hot water, and a couple scoops of Oxyclean. Let it sit, turn it over. Same with my fermentors. Fill it half full, shake it, let it sit. Maybe a swirl with a carboy brush. I never it let stuff sit longer than and hour. Never had problems with white haze. Also, for removing labels, nothing better than an Oxyclean soak.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
So it's safe to say that I could clean all my equipment and my beer lines with Oxyclean and shouldn't have a problem.
That's encouraging to know.  The brewing cleaning stuff isn't cheap.

That's all I ever used. I'm not a fan of letting my stuff sit with crap in them. Within a day or to of kicking a keg, i fill it half full with hot water, and a couple scoops of Oxyclean. Let it sit, turn it over. Same with my fermentors. Fill it half full, shake it, let it sit. Maybe a swirl with a carboy brush. I never it let stuff sit longer than and hour. Never had problems with white haze. Also, for removing labels, nothing better than an Oxyclean soak.
Great.  I used to soak bottles to remove labels in B brite, but that's a pricey solution.  I tried Oxyclean recently and it worked like a charm. 
Seems like a practical solution for a fairly cheap price.
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline kgs

• Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »
Incidentally, I found "Oxiclean Versatile Free" at Target last week -- a new batch, as well. Apparently I wasn't the only one who preferred a fragrance-free product and was willing to defect to another brand to get it. And it was at a great price, too!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
Incidentally, I found "Oxiclean Versatile Free" at Target last week -- a new batch, as well. Apparently I wasn't the only one who preferred a fragrance-free product and was willing to defect to another brand to get it. And it was at a great price, too!

I saw it at the grocery store the other day as well.  It's a bit more expensive than the bulk buy of the non-free stuff but I might pick some up once I'm done with my current vat.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale