Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Erlenmeyer flask alternatives  (Read 9212 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Erlenmeyer flask alternatives
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:40:08 pm »
So, I bought a stirplate but not a flask (smart huh?).  I was thinking I could just use my 1 gal jugs but they are not flat enough on the bottom.  My LHBS only carries1000ml and I cant find anyone in town that has something bigger.  Other than wait another week to order one.  I was wondering if somebody is using something else that'll work to get a big starter going.
-J.K.L.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Erlenmeyer flask alternatives
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:53:46 pm »
That reminds me..... I put a 2L Erlenmeyer on my brand new stir plate and I guess there was too much of a gap, because the widget was NOT turning, no matter what I tried. So I resorted to the "swirl every time you walk by" technique. It worked, but it's a pain and NOT what I paid for..... :-[

O crap..... the magnet is in the bottom of my Belgian ale fermenting.... must remember to dig that up!
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:55:15 pm »
How about a growler?  Just don't put in on the stove!  Sorry, you probably knew that.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 02:07:00 pm »
How about a growler?  Just don't put in on the stove!  Sorry, you probably knew that.

I didn't think about a growler. Surely I've got 1 lying around somewhere. Still a little small but better than nothing if it works.  As far as the putting it on the stove part, yeah I think that might not work out for me ;)  This is actually part of the reason I didn't buy a flask.  I dont really need something else I can break.  I've thought about going with Nalgene but they are expensive.  I don't really need to boil in it.  My 2 qt S/S pot works just as good and I don't worry about it cracking or breaking.
-J.K.L.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:20:24 pm »
a flat-bottomed flower vase
Brew on

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:39:29 pm »
Get a barbell stir bar, that might work.  The shape lets it stay in the center of the jug.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:26:08 pm »
at http://stirbars.com/ you can buy any kind of stir bar you want.
Bad thing is the minimum order is I think $50.
They do have "Barbell" bars too.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:43:55 pm »
I use a one gallon glass jug on my homemade stirplate. I use a standard 2" stir bar. The down side is that I can't boil in the jug but I am in the market for a 5000mL Erlenmeyer flask.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 08:10:39 pm »
I use a one gallon glass jug on my homemade stirplate. I use a standard 2" stir bar. The down side is that I can't boil in the jug but I am in the market for a 5000mL Erlenmeyer flask.

In another thread, Tygo got me to looking around.  Best I've found so far is...

http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FTY450&variation=
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 08:21:47 pm »

In another thread, Tygo got me to looking around.  Best I've found so far is...

http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FTY450&variation=

Wow...nice price there.

Thanks for the tip Joe.
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:11:19 pm »
That's a good deal.  Better than morebeer unless you're buying enough other stuff to qualify for the free shipping in which case it's about the same.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 11:15:14 pm »
I got mine from university surplus, $15 bucks each.  If you have that kind of place near you it's worth checking out, ours has monthly public sales (the only time I can buy stuff to take home).
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 06:59:33 am »
That's a good deal.  Better than morebeer unless you're buying enough other stuff to qualify for the free shipping in which case it's about the same.

Unless you want two.  Get two and I'll never break the first one, get only one and guess what.  That's the way my luck runs. :)
Joe

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 07:58:00 am »
I've given up on finding anything in town.  By now I could've almost got one in the mail.  My brew partner went to The Container Store yesterday and found a 3000ml glass flip top container with a relatively flat bottom on it.  I put some water in it last night and it works but the stir bar looses it place  at higher speeds.  I'm just gonna order a flask.  I need to do a test run on the new system anyway so I'll just use some US-05 for that.  The 10 gal lager will just have to wait a couple more weeks.  I've decided to get a pump too, so I think I'm just going to get both from Rebel Brewer?  500ml's are $35 and a March 809 inline is $129.  I think shipping for both is around $10.  Thanks for the replies guys!!
-J.K.L. 

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 08:21:58 am »
That's a good deal.  Better than morebeer unless you're buying enough other stuff to qualify for the free shipping in which case it's about the same.

Unless you want two.  Get two and I'll never break the first one, get only one and guess what.  That's the way my luck runs. :)

I hear ya.  I do have two of them myself for when I split batches and use two different yeasts.
Clint
Wort Hogs