Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator  (Read 7814 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Kegerator
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:25:50 pm »
Not a very good pic, but I made this one myself. Frame is SS, with expanded metal tray, painted black. The catch is just a fifty cent aluminum bread pan. when it get nasty, I toss it out, and put a new one in.

I'm in Ohio right now, but when I get home to Idaho, I'll check those dimensions for you, if no one else has posted by then.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »
I use black, plastic trays that are made for drywall compound.
I put sticky velcro or double-stick tape on them.
They last forever & don't look too bad.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 04:06:38 pm »
I'll check mine when I get home tonight. What I can say right now is that it'll never hold more than two 5 gallon cornies without modification.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 08:31:22 pm »
Hate to argue with you, but if you wiggle it all just right, you can get a 5# tank inthere with the cornies. I'm not saying it's easy, but I have done. Was not happy about having to put the puzzle all back together each time, so I moved it outside, but it can be done. It's tighter than a frogs butt, though. I'll tell ya that.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:25 pm »
Saw somewhere that the door's inside panel replaced with a sheet of plexiglass increases the wiggle room.

But where would I hang my cobra taps then?  BTW weaze I like how you went through the door with your taps.  Added to the list of things to do. Eventually.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 12:32:45 am »
OK measured the interior.

29.5" H but subtract 8" for compressor
19" W subtract 1" due to shelving supports
17.5 L but subtract 4" for compressor

Door shelving is 4"

So if the door is modified, then it is possible to squeeze four 3 gallon kegs on a shelf in the Sanyo.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 05:44:30 am »
OK measured the interior.

29.5" H but subtract 8" for compressor
19" W subtract 1" due to shelving supports
17.5 L but subtract 4" for compressor

Door shelving is 4"

So if the door is modified, then it is possible to squeeze four 3 gallon kegs on a shelf in the Sanyo.

Thanks for the info.  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 10:51:58 am »
You're welcome. It may just be four 2.5 gallon kegs. Might have been thinking a bit too ambitiously last night.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 05:12:03 pm »
Quote from: denny on Today at 12:24:35 PM
Quote from: oscarvan on Today at 12:19:49 PM
Craigslist fridge with room for 6 and hops freezer below..... $50

Cost to run it for a year....$3000. 

Funny. At 45ยบ it doesn't run that often this time of year. It's on the cold end of the house, my office is right next to it and I can hear it when it runs..... however....in summer the "mudroom" as the pantry is known will get toastier...

Irony is lost.....The cost to run includes the beer to be consumed....hence the $3,000.

Ah...... fatigue is an issue sometimes. Actually.... since October, so 6 months 100 gallons, at a cost of about $3/G, so $300, x2= $600 a year..... compared to close to 10K for commercial beer.... I'll take it.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 05:53:13 pm »
Ah...... fatigue is an issue sometimes. Actually.... since October, so 6 months 100 gallons, at a cost of about $3/G, so $300, x2= $600 a year..... compared to close to 10K for commercial beer.... I'll take it.

My records have me about $4.50/galllon for the last several years (ranging between $3.80 and $6.50 per gallon per batch)....so $3/gallon is pretty good.  I am all over the place, neither too light, nor too heavy....no IPA's of any kind, no imperials, mostly all grain 5-6% ABV with the occasional 8% christmas beer.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 09:18:08 am »
My records have me about $4.50/galllon for the last several years (ranging between $3.80 and $6.50 per gallon per batch)....so $3/gallon is pretty good.  I am all over the place, neither too light, nor too heavy....no IPA's of any kind, no imperials, mostly all grain 5-6% ABV with the occasional 8% christmas beer.

I'm paying $.70 / pound for two row * 20-22 for the average beer = $14-=$16, two or three dollars worth of specialty grain = $17-$19
I reuse yeast but have to buy say every fourth batch so $2 = $19-$21. Say an average of 5 ounces of hops at $1.25 or so = $6 so now we're at $25 to $27...... some salts, a whirlfloc tablet, some propane water and electricity..... call it an even $30/10=$3

Now there's 128 ounces in a gallon so we're talking $.30 for a 12 ounce beer...... even if it was $.50 after the fermenteezers, keggerator and dishwasher do their thing.....A case of SNPA is $38/24=$1.58 So I'm well ahead of the game. And we're not even talking about the better Belgians. There the savings are enormous.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 02:50:40 pm »
Rock on Oscar! Rock ON!  The best I am doing is about 95 cents a pound on base malt (in my case, 2 row, Western)...I would love to hear where you are getting for less..I was 2 inches shy of starting my own brewery, and then I found a paying  job...in that time, I checked out pricing for grains wholesale....they run about 45 cents a pound for 2 row....of course, if you buy tons, it is less, but 45 cents for a pallet and 43 cents for in excess of 10,000 lbs....and that is if I pick it up myself.....which, living in Denver, (close to coors and a gazillion micros.....).

I calculated my costs at about $0.35-$0.50 a 12 ouncer....my 2010 batch average was 0.46 cents a 12 ounce bottle.

Even at that, I didn't include labor costs (hey, its a hobby, ain't it?) and figured that below 50 cents a bottle is pretty good if you are going to compare with over the bar prices.....my business model was 100% over the bar sales (with some discount for growler sales).  My ultimate assessment was that small local brewery with only over the bar sales (and no restaurant) is the way to go.  Launching into production brewery is suicide.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 08:33:54 pm »
I scored pretty decent in Idaho. I can buy grain from the brewery there for 0.80 a #. Beats my 1.25 at the old LHBS. Can also gets hops there at a pretty good price. Yeast is another story. Said she will not sell me any of it. And, of course, any other odds and ends I'll have to order online, but for the price of grain, I can't complain.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 05:08:21 am »
I get 25kg bags of Muntons from a local brew pub for $35 out the door..... 25 x 2.2 = 55 pounds.... $35 / 55 = $0.64 per pound.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 11:08:05 am »
I get 25kg bags of Muntons from a local brew pub for $35 out the door..... 25 x 2.2 = 55 pounds.... $35 / 55 = $0.64 per pound.

Why you sonofa...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member