Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ringwood yeast  (Read 2642 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Ringwood yeast
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:40:08 pm »
Does anyone know if any of the Wyeast or Whitelab yeasts are the Ringwood strain?
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Ringwood yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:42:23 pm »
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

narvin

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:16:34 pm »
And... WLP005

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:21:07 pm »
This yeast seems to be a love it or hate it thing.  I'm in the latter camp.  Just doesn't suit my tastes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 03:30:27 pm »
It can produce a lot of diacetyl if you don't give it enough oxygen.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 03:41:28 pm »
Before I even knew what diacetyl was, I tried Michigan's Arcadia Brewing Co. IPA and thought, man, that's a buttery tasting beer! Their house strain is Ringwood.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 06:13:48 am »
My question was mostly curiosity.
I had a chance for a pretty thorough (I was there about 2 hours) tour of Shipyard Brewing in Portland, ME recently with one of the brewers.
Shipyard is Maine's largest brewery and produces close to 100,000 barrels per year.
The house yeast is Ringwood.
The interesting thing, interesting to me anyway, I learned was that while they do a lot of contract brewing, 99.9% of everything they brew is done with the Ringwood yeast.
The downside is that when you go into one of the brew pubs or bars that they also operate and ask for a sampler of all the styles, they all taste pretty much the same.

"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:00:55 am »
It can produce a lot of diacetyl if you don't give it enough oxygen.

About 13 years ago, the Big Brew recipe was a porter made with something called "Swedish Porter" yeast, which was Ringwood.  A friend and I brewed the recipe and it was so God awful that it immediately turned me off of Ringwood.  I know others like it and have success with it, but I've never been able to bring myself to try it again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:30:27 am »
Not being an experienced brewer, but put me in the love it category. I make all my English style ales with WLP 005. Of course I am anal about adding lots of oxygen.
Roger