Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raging b!tch  (Read 5871 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Raging b!tch
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 11:30:10 am »
I gave some to my friend with the uber-sensitive palate and he didn't like it except with some habenero salsa I force-fed him. Actually he went like a pig at the trough but I digress.

Ha... it also feels really good when you stop smashing your fingers with a hammer.  I can't taste anything after habanero salsa so if that's what it takes to make this stuff palateable... think I'll pass.  Love the name though.  Maybe it just needs to be paired with Arrogant Bastard.  

Of course we're used to the heat! Anyway, the interesting thing was the capsaicin canceled out the phenol flavor but left the hops and malt shining. Plus the sweetness cooled the palate somewhat.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 11:34:17 am »
The name is fun at least - we went out to dinner with some friends last year and my buddy went to the bar to get some beers - got me, him and my wife pints of some local stuff, but got his wife a bottle the Raging b**** IPA.  When he handed her the bottle he said "look, they made a beer just for you".

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 11:36:22 am »
The name is fun at least - we went out to dinner with some friends last year and my buddy went to the bar to get some beers - got me, him and my wife pints of some local stuff, but got his wife a bottle the Raging b**** IPA.  When he handed her the bottle he said "look, they made a beer just for you".

Was he wearing the beer after that comment.  :D
Ron Price

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:36 am »
Of course we're used to the heat! Anyway, the interesting thing was the capsaicin canceled out the phenol flavor but left the hops and malt shining. Plus the sweetness cooled the palate somewhat.

Well, that is interesting. Maybe I should give it a try a it's usually the phenols in Belgians that can be a bit much for my liking and in truth I do enjoy pushing the capsaicin envelope.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 11:46:07 am »

What a smooth-talking ladies' man.   :o
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 11:56:55 am »
What a smooth-talking ladies' man.   :o

hehe - both he and his wife are some of the most fiery personalities I've ever met.  they're perfect for each other.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 12:11:52 pm »
Having this beer right now actually - there's an importer in the Netherlands, after finishing this going to try a Mikkeller GIPA.

Wife and I like it, but once you mentioned phenols, yeah, they're definitely there. We're having it with some split pea soup with sausage and a turkish salad of some kind. Lots of things going on in my mouth right now
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 02:54:48 pm »

ROTF - I like your friend. Sounds like something I would do to my wife. Playfully, of course.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 07:45:37 pm »

...and that's when the fight started.
Joe

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 08:58:48 pm »
He also commented that if they payed Ralph Steadman to do the artwork then marketing was more important than the actual beer itself.
This may seem to be the case, however this is not true with Flying Dog. I used to live in Colorado. I may have some of the details wrong, but the jist of my story is correct. Flying Dogs roots go back to Aspen, Colorado. George Stranahan was one of the founders. He is good friends with Hunter S. Thompson. The good doctor has always been close with Ralph Steadman. Steadman has done the artwork for flying Dog from the get-go. Remember the Road Dog Porter "No s***" label? They won that First Amendment case too.
Their beers have always been solid. The nice labels by a famous artist are a bonus, not a marketing ploy.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 05:37:56 am »
I honestly dislike their labels and am turned off by them. I guess its marketed for the 18-24 year crowd.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 05:41:43 am »
I've said it before and will probably have to say it again...it ain't the label, it's what's in the bottle... ;D

And you non-phenol drinking sods can go pound sand.  :D

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 06:02:07 am »
I honestly dislike their labels and am turned off by them. I guess its marketed for the 18-24 year crowd.
Me, too.  I actually find myself NOT buying the beer because of the labels.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 06:16:36 am »
I'm mildly amused by the name (Raging B!tch) but leave it to politicians to fixate on that name versus the one I really can't bring myself to buy, Doggy Style. It's just too idiotic.

I think Raging B!itch's take on style is interesting, and where I can buy singles I will buy one or two bottles once in a while. My favorite "American Belgian" is still Matilda (we'll see if that's still true in a year or two, now that Goose Island has been bought by The Man).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 08:12:56 am »
I've said it before and will probably have to say it again...it ain't the label, it's what's in the bottle... ;D

And you non-phenol drinking sods can go pound sand.  :D

Yeah, I agree with you. But I will offer this: A local brewery in town have done a "second runnigs" beer and called it "Sloppy Seconds"... funny? Maybe (I didn't think so). One thing is for sure, I would never order a beer called "sloppy seconds" ever, no matter how great the beer tasted.

Should note I know the brewer personally and he makes fine beers.

As far as FD goes, I have given them a fair shake. And I admire the head brewer greatly. Just don't care for their beers and that, along with their branding, doesn't sit well with me. I respect others who have a different take.