Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend? - 4/1 Edition  (Read 10358 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: What's brewing this weekend? 4/1 edition
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 01:54:01 pm »
I grew up in Eugene. Got started at the Home Fermenter Center. Is there still another HBS on Willamette?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:29 pm »
I grew up in Eugene. Got started at the Home Fermenter Center. Is there still another HBS on Willamette?

The one on Willamette has moved to 13th.  The Home Fermenter Center is where I shop.  Still run by Jim and his wife.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 04:07:14 pm »
No brewing this weekend. Heading out on a fishing trip with my brothers and dad to celebrate his retirement. But... We are stopping at Two Bros. Brewing on the way back for a tour/tasting and they have a homebrew shop on the premises...
Mark Gres

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 04:57:50 pm »
IPA all the way
Dan Chisholm

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend? - 4/1 Edition
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »
Brewing a Belgian Wit and bottling an APA
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 06:44:59 pm »
Tomorrow I'm making a second attempt at an all grain ESB.  9lbs MO, 1 lb crystal 40, EKG hops only for now (1 oz @ 60, 1/2 oz @ 15, 1/2 oz at flameout).  This is the one I'm working on doing over and over to try to perfect.  Lowering the grain bill and hops a bit and re-using the yeast so it should be different but hopefully good. 

I put the first edition in the keg on Monday and it has just enough bubbles today that I could probably force myself to drink another glass (gotta try it to see how it's coming, right?).  Still more bitter than I expected with 1.5 oz at 60.

Then, Friday (work depending) I've got plans for a Steam-style.  Starter (Wyeast 2112) was started this afternoon.  Planning on the exact same grain as above and switching up the hops for Northern Brewer. 

Then, I'm out of carboys and sadly, must stop.  It's pretty hard to get ahead but I'm trying to get at least 3 kegs on the go.  Pick up my new (used but free) freezer on Saturday so that's next.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 06:56:58 pm »
I probably won't be brewing this weekend, but if I get the chance, it will be a CAP which I call my Ballpark Pils.  Welcome back, baseball!!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 07:03:40 pm »
I'm going to do an extract batch of 70/- some night this week, probably tomorrow night, so I'll have a nice yeast cake to pitch on to for my wee heavy next weekend.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 05:31:10 am »
Brewing an Imperial Stout, racking an ESB, bottling a Flanders Red.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 10:42:29 am »
No brewing this weekend, but will make the starter for the raspberry wit coming up next weekend.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 11:15:11 am »
No brewing this weekend, but will make the starter for the raspberry wit coming up next weekend.

Interesting, you're doing your starter a week in advance?  I was under the impression that 24-48 was the optimal timeframe. Curious about your strategy.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 11:23:15 am »

Interesting, you're doing your starter a week in advance?  I was under the impression that 24-48 was the optimal timeframe. Curious about your strategy.

24-48 would be optimal if you were pitching the whole starter into the main wort.

Many of us prefer to crash the starter and decant the spent wort, only pitching the slurry of yeast at the bottom.

A week's about the right amount of time to do this - 2 days or so on the stir plate, then 3-4 days of crashing in the fridge before brewday.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 11:29:52 am »
I see, I that case with that method could one pitch yeast harvested from a big/hoppy/dark ale to a lighter version with minimal influence from the original?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:43 am »
I see, I that case with that method could one pitch yeast harvested from a big/hoppy/dark ale to a lighter version with minimal influence from the original?

well, there may still be hop or malt compounds carried by the yeast themselves, but it would certainly be better.  You may want to look into yeast washing if you really want to be OCD about it.

frankly I've never adhered very strictly to the 'rules' about repitching except on the extreme ends of the scale - like I won't repitch yeast from a schwarzbier into a helles, but I don't mind a marzen into a helles.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 01:13:47 pm »
Yesterday I made a starter for the DFH Madbrewers competition beer. On Sunday I'll be brewing a special "mystery beer" for that competition. Details to come before the competition.  ;)
Ron Price