Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cervesa Recipes?  (Read 18593 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Cervesa Recipes?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 12:38:22 pm »
Time?  Must be a mainland thing...

Sky gets light - eat breakfast
Sun overhead (no shadow) - eat lunch
Sky gets dark - eat dinner

Other than that - what happens is all good.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline norseman

• 1st Kit
  • Willow Spring, NC
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »
First time on the AHA forums...you folks will have to tell me if this is typical.

OP asks for an extract corona recipe and he gets a bunch of flak over his beer choice and a wisp of an all grain recipe?  ???

When I started homebrewing many moons ago, one of my first brews was a cervesa.  Why?  My lovely bride - who bought me my first setup - likes it (sentimental reasons - our honeymoon was in Mexico) and asked me to make one.  How in the world could I say "no!" to the proverbial founder of the feast?  Point being - to each his own.  If the gent wants a cervesa, let him make one.

America uses rice in their megabeers - cervesa is made with corn.  Here's one I found on another forum - looks like it should fit the bill:

4 lbs light dry malt extract
1# corn sugar
1/2 oz Cascade (bittering - 60min)
1/2 oz cascade (aroma - 15 min)
Wyeast 1007 German Ale
optional - zest from 2 Limes in secondary

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 08:17:40 pm »
First time on the AHA forums...you folks will have to tell me if this is typical.

OP asks for an extract corona recipe and he gets a bunch of flak over his beer choice and a wisp of an all grain recipe?  ???

When I started homebrewing many moons ago, one of my first brews was a cervesa.  Why?  My lovely bride - who bought me my first setup - likes it (sentimental reasons - our honeymoon was in Mexico) and asked me to make one.  How in the world could I say "no!" to the proverbial founder of the feast?  Point being - to each his own.  If the gent wants a cervesa, let him make one.

America uses rice in their megabeers - cervesa is made with corn.  Here's one I found on another forum - looks like it should fit the bill:

1# corn sugar
Wyeast 1007 German Ale
You make some good points about his treatment.   I got that kind of response once on Brewboard and rarely ever go back there.
BTW Miller is made with corn, not rice.
Also welcome to this forum.  That was a pretty unusual response to a question, the people here generally are not as judgmental as the start of this thread was. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:22:00 pm by corkybstewart »
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 10:42:10 pm »
America uses rice in their megabeers - cervesa is made with corn.  Here's one I found on another forum - looks like it should fit the bill:

1# corn sugar
Wyeast 1007 German Ale
I don't make this style of beer and haven't commented on a recipe, make what you want, drink what you want.  But I don't think the one above will be close at all.

First, I think German hops would be more appropriate.  Second, corn sugar won't add anything except ethanol, flaked maize is a better choice.  Third, I would go with pilsner malt or extract instead of light DME, it is more true to style.  My opinion.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 07:01:06 am »

OP asks for an extract corona recipe and he gets a bunch of flak over his beer choice and a wisp of an all grain recipe?  ???

And lots of help pointing him in the right direction. Don't focus directly on the negative. Read through the thread and you will lots of very good suggestions.

As far as your recipe goes, +1 one on tschmidlin comments. You need flaked maize and a mini mash. Corn sugar is not the same thing at all. And noble hops over C hops. The recipe you posted may make an "OK" beer, but there are others in this thread that would get the OP closer to mexican lager.

As far as your comments that "American uses rice and cervesa uses corn" - Some American breweries use rice, some use corn. The point is that there is not a lot of difference between the two, as far as pale lagers go.

AND FWIW I like Mexican beer and can be caught every October on the Gulf of Mexico drinking a corona with a lime. All ya'll can scoff all you want, I don't care.  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:17:06 am by majorvices »

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 08:01:17 am »

AND FWIW I like Mexican beer and can be caught every October on the Gulf of Mexico drinking a corona with a lime. All ya'll can scoff all you want, I don't care.  :)

Oh Man!  You just had ta go and say it...  And here I was beginning to think that bullets bounce off of you.  Dang!   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 10:02:34 am »

No it's not typical, it's regrettable.  Thanks for your help.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 10:04:15 am »
Second, corn sugar won't add anything except ethanol, flaked maize is a better choice. 

It would be a better choice, but it would also require a partial mash.  In lieu of that, I think the sugar is a good choice.  I agree with your other points, though.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 11:27:06 am »

Choose stay logged in.

Then I really would lose track of the amount of time consumed here.  Not good.  :o

Welcome to the obsession.  8)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 01:02:23 pm »
Second, corn sugar won't add anything except ethanol, flaked maize is a better choice.

It would be a better choice, but it would also require a partial mash.  In lieu of that, I think the sugar is a good choice.  I agree with your other points, though.
True, but let's not fear the partial mash.  It's just steeping at a certain temperature.   Throw in a handful of 6-row to convert and Bob's your uncle.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 03:32:15 pm »

True, but let's not fear the partial mash.  It's just steeping at a certain temperature.   Throw in a handful of 6-row to convert and Bob's your uncle.

I completely agree with you, but I was guessing (assuming) that the OP wanted an extract recipe.  If he wanted to step it up a bit, your suggestion is the way to go.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 04:39:14 pm »
...and Bob's your uncle.

How did you know Bob was my uncle?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 05:50:21 am »

I completely agree with you, but I was guessing (assuming) that the OP wanted an extract recipe.  If he wanted to step it up a bit, your suggestion is the way to go.

IMO it's just one of those beers you can;t do without a partial mash at least.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 06:23:34 am »
For the people saying that help wasn't provided, note that I did offer two recipes (all grain and extract).  It's not like the question was never answered.  I agree, it's not really the best style for someone new to be making since it involves some advanced techniques.  So you either compromise on the ingredients or the methods or you compromise on the style fidelity.  Pick one.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 10:24:48 am »
For the people saying that help wasn't provided, note that I did offer two recipes (all grain and extract).  It's not like the question was never answered.  I agree, it's not really the best style for someone new to be making since it involves some advanced techniques.  So you either compromise on the ingredients or the methods or you compromise on the style fidelity.  Pick one.
Agreed it's not a great style for beginners, but we have no idea if the OP is a beginner or not.  New to the board yes, new to brewing . . . maybe, but not definitely.
Tom Schmidlin