Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Orange Blossom flowers  (Read 6629 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Orange Blossom flowers
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 08:42:13 am »
All that orange flavoring is fine, I'm sure, but the op wanted the aroma from the orange blossoms, which to me is totally different.  I've got some blossoming in my back yard right now and they do smell great, but not so much orangey.
A friend of mine once made a beer that he dry-flowered with orange blossoms.  It took a lot, but the result was very nice.  Floral, as I recall.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 08:45:26 am »
All that orange flavoring is fine, I'm sure, but the op wanted the aroma from the orange blossoms, which to me is totally different.  I've got some blossoming in my back yard right now and they do smell great, but not so much orangey.
A friend of mine once made a beer that he dry-flowered with orange blossoms.  It took a lot, but the result was very nice.  Floral, as I recall.

The penzy's is as close as I've come.  I suppose I should have mentioned that in my other post.  My wife's grandparents have citrus trees in Phoenix and I've tried making tinctures with those, and it just doesn't have the impact that you might think.  I think they are just a bit too delicate.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 08:51:26 am »
The orange oil you are talking about is extracted from orange peel.  It imparts an orange flavor and aroma just like the peel.  I use it in my meads.  You are correct.  A little dab'l do ya.  Try experimenting with it on a small volume of beverage; adding it drop-wise until you reach the flavor/aroma level you like.  Then scale it up to the size of the batch you want to flavor.

I think someone using orange extract in cooking made a fortuitous boo boo and discovered that citrus peel extract is an excellent natural solvent.  Many cleaners today are citrus oil based.  Word to the wise; be careful what you get the extract on...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:37 am »
Maybe you should reach out to Patrick Rue at The Bruery.  Sounds like the kind of thing he'd use.

Great suggestion - thanks!

Patrick will be the next guest on Ask the Experts after Sean Paxton.  Look for him sometime in May.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 05:56:55 pm »

TOTALLY THIS^^^^

As far as the Bruery goes, they aren't doing one I hope. I did a search on "Orange Blossom Beer" and I didn't find but one commercially produced one and it was a Cream Ale.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 05:42:47 pm »
Phoenix, AZ

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 06:58:17 pm »
Thanks. I have been eyeing up the Orange Blossom water. Hadn't seen that brand before. Great flour though!

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13:03 pm »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 10:50:10 am »
Anyone try this brand?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQJ6DK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p325_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1E3VYF7S9ZKRQGVG5MWW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846
That's the kind I have, but it's also the only kind I've ever tried so I have nothing to compare it to.  It seems good to me, but I haven't put it in a beer or mead.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline The Naked Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »
These guys make an Orange Blossom Ale here in Reno:
http://www.buckbeanbeer.com/
Give 'em a call and see if they'll give you a contact for orange blossom flowers or at least give you an idea of how they get that type of flavor in their beer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 08:34:42 am »
Thanks, man! i will!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 12:15:03 pm »
I was in Walgreens today and saw EKO orange flower water, 4oz for $1.79, so I bought some.  It says on the label "deionized water and orange flower extract" 
It doesn't seem to have much scent to me, but I'll have my wife give it a sniff when she gets home.
http://store.otcretail.com/p243212.html
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995