Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Brewer's Festival  (Read 1937 times)

Offline aubeertine31

• Cellarman
First Brewer's Festival
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:20:04 pm »
So the wife and I headed up to Smuggler's Notch in Vermont for a little spring break ski vacation, and we got a great package deal with the resort, plus there was a brewer's festival that weekend also! First time for me, so I was thrilled to check this out.

The Attendees:

Sam Adams
Long Trail
Harpoon
Otter Creek
Magic Hat
Woodchuck Cider
Shocktop Widmer Brothers

At first, it was great, we got a souvenir glass and 8 tickets and picked up some SWAG on the tables. Then I realized that there was a DJ there who was like running games and contests and stuff. Then he started cranking the music and the place got packed and turned into a dance party. Another person in our party said it felt like we were at a wedding where you didn't know anybody. The beer I did try was good, but the people at the tables were not well informed. Some of them had piles of malt next to the samples on their tables so I tried some, couldn't put my finger on it, asked the girl what kind of malt it was, she looked befuddled, turned to ask someone else and said it was barley. Yeah, thanks sweetheart. Plus it wasn't anything new really, just a showcase of their flagship beers or seasonals.

So all-in-all, it wasn't the craft brew experience I was looking for, but I think I was disappointed because my expectations were so high. It was more of a Hey, Try Our Beer and Go Party! sort of night, instead of a, hey check out these new brews we have and ask us about them sort of night. Oh well, I'll probably go back, just with different expectations. 
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: First Brewer's Festival
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:09:19 am »
Head to Burlington in mid-July for the Vermont Brewer's Festival...that one doesn't disappoint.  And Burlington is a great city!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline aubeertine31

• Cellarman
Re: First Brewer's Festival
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 06:33:56 am »
Ooooo that does sound nice. You're right, Burlington is pretty sweet. I've only been there once, but it was a good time. Yeah I had a feeling that was sort of a "different" brew festival and they aren't all like that. I'd like to make the one in July, but who knows, I live in Western NY so it was a hike to get up there.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra