Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is this enough yeast?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Is this enough yeast?
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:19:03 pm »
This is my first attempt at washing and re-using yeast.  I screwed it up a bit the first time so I went back and re-washed what was left in the jug (it had been kept cold and covered and should be as clean as it was or as any starter I've made so far).  Now I have this at the bottom of a pint mason jar.  Is this enough yeast to pitch directly or should I make a starter?  I got this on Tuesday and was going to brew tomorrow.  It's been kept at about 34F since I washed it.  Please let me know if you think this would be enough.
Thanks

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Is this enough yeast?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »
Looks good to me. Pitch it and see!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:35:05 pm »
What's the OG of what you're planning to brew? Unless it's one of those Fred-style (1.100+) behemoths, I'd say you're probably good to go.
Joe

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:45:11 pm »
Feh.  1.100 is one of Fred's starters.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:05:24 pm »
Shooting for around 1.050 to 1.060.  Doing my calculations for 1.055 but I'm still all over the board on extraction efficiency so anywhere in that range will be fine with me. 

For 1.100 do you just pitch into 5 gals of straight molasses?