Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 29 years  (Read 3261 times)

Offline niquejim

• Cellarman
29 years
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:21:06 am »
It's been 29 years since we lost the first Beatle

I still miss your music John
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: 29 years
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:43:16 am »
+1

That was a very sad day.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:26:42 pm »
I'm not really a John Lennon fan. He was a huge hypocrite. I do like some of the Beatles music though.

+1

i do appreciate what they did for music and the impact and influence they had on future artists.

you know who i really miss......  frank zappa.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:40:33 pm »
I'm a huge Beatles fan, and whether or not I would have found any of them to be insufferable gits in real life is kind of irrelevant to me at least.  I wasn't as enamored of his later solo work, but still, a perfect example of the old cliche "a senseless waste of human life".

Add to that list Terry Kath, who died just over 30 years ago, accidentally by his own hand.  Alcohol and guns make for a dangerous mix, from the almost comical (a certain former VP) to the (more commonly) tragic.  One of the most underrated and underappreciated guitarists around, particularly ironic because his band was so well known and popular.  Chicago Transit Authority had guitar work on it that seems far and above most of the guitar playing going on at the end of the sixties.  I love his taste, the fire and soul of Hendrix with the complexity and nuance of a jazzer.

One of the saddest moments on youtube is a taped performance of "If You Leave Me Now" from 1977 with the video panning briefly over to Kath, subbing on bass (backing for Cetera on guitar and lead vocals).  The man just looked depressed and I could hardly blame him, as Chicago devolved into its commercial pop juggernaught phase of the late 70s and 80s.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 03:03:16 pm »

+ a billionty and eleven.  "Freak Out" is the reason I ended up in the rock'n'roll biz.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:15:34 am »

+ a billionty and eleven.  "Freak Out" is the reason I ended up in the rock'n'roll biz.

+ eleventy-billion and one!  I went to see "Zappa plays Zappa" last year.  It wasn't quite like seeing FZ, but the kid did a nice job and it was a damn good show.  It was great to hear the tunes live again....
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 09:44:39 pm »

Denny...I kind of sensed that we had a lot more in common than a love of good beer.
Zappa was pure genius.

"We're Only In It For The Money" was the one that got me hooked.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971