Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What does oxidized beer taste like?  (Read 30876 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: What does oxidized beer taste like?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 06:19:23 pm »
Good stuff - I think I know exactly what you guys are talking about.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 06:37:03 pm »
  to me it is just a stale taste.
If it is quick oxidation this is what I get as well. The longer it develops the more "sherry wine" like it gets. The wet cardboard is a decent analogy as well.
And I'm glad Gordon also mentioned the weird caramel taste that oxidized beers have.  That's something I perceive, too, that you don't see get mentioned much.
Yeah, just go to Germany and have some Ayinger or Spaten or Paulaner or whatever and then come back to the States and buy some dusty bottles of the same off the shelf. That will make anyone understand the caramel/sweet aspect of oxidation.
In lighter German beers in the states, I often pick up a honey flavor, which is oxidation.  The compound is 2,3-pentanedione, and some discriptions say it has a caramel taste.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 08:26:53 pm »
  to me it is just a stale taste.

If it is quick oxidation this is what I get as well. The longer it develops the more "sherry wine" like it gets. The wet cardboard is a decent analogy as well.

And I'm glad Gordon also mentioned the weird caramel taste that oxidized beers have.  That's something I perceive, too, that you don't see get mentioned much.

Right. I notice a shrinkage of flavor level or less intense (brightness or freshness) flavors. Boxy or cardboard and sherry are classic descriptors which to me are most accurate. I've also experienced some slightly metallic flavors in older beers.

I think Gordon hit the high notes of this condition. The best way to recognize this is to do a blind tasting of like examples a few years apart, of course easier said than done.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 09:53:52 am »
Yeah, just go to Germany and have some Ayinger or Spaten or Paulaner or whatever and then come back to the States and buy some dusty bottles of the same off the shelf. That will make anyone understand the caramel/sweet aspect of oxidation.

I'm extremely lucky in that our local bottle shop has all of those in excellent condition.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell