Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting sick of all these movie franchise 'Reboots' and remakes  (Read 13640 times)

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
Superman is sick of it too:

Why so many 'reboots'?  It's like the studios are admitting their own work is crap/not good enough.

-We've had 2 versions of The Hulk (and I think we'll be having a 3rd - they didn't want Edward Norton as David Banner again).
-They already 'rebooted' Superman but were unhappy with it - so here it comes again as a re-reboot.
-We've had 3 pretty decent Spider-Man movies with Tobey Maguire.  Not good enough.  The reboot is shooting now.
-Today I just read that after "The Dark Knight Rises", they'll be scrapping that series & 'rebooting' Batman YET again.
-X-men First Class & the Wolverine movies.  These are more 'spinoffs' than 'reboots', but still.

And how about remakes?  Here's a long list of ones we've arleady seen - and ones that are on the way:

-Texas Chainsaw Massacre (A classic!  The remake? Sacrelige!)
-The Wizard of Oz (How COULD they?  This is ridiculous.)
-Total Recall (The original came out in 1990 - can't they remake older stuff first?)
-Robocop (Again - 1987.  Too soon!)
-Arthur (Already out - and an insult to the original w/ Dudley Moore & Liza Minelli.)
-The Birds (A classic & should not be f**ked with!)
-Conan The Barbarian (Nobody will top Arnold's role here.)
-Escape From New York (Kurt Russell should be up in arms over this!)
-Fletch (Chevy Chase WAS Fletch.  How the hell do you remake it w/o him?)
-Gremins (Are you f'n kidding me?)

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.  Why SO many reboots/remakes?  It's quite clear by now that NOBODY in Hollywood has any original ideas left.  None. 

Now... remakes of much older movies I'd actually be OK with.  For example, I was OK with the remake of H.G. Wells Time Machine.  I also heard they were working on a remake of Logan's Run.  Agian, the age of the film makes a remake today a better idea than remaking films that came out in the 80's and 90's. 

I think this all came to a head for me today when I read about the reboot, yet again, of Batman.  ENOUGH!
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Getting sick of all these movie franchise 'Reboots' and remakes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:59:05 am »
+1
That was funny right there.

this could be a good thread...

a) worst movies re-boots

b) worst classic rock covers (bonus points for cheesy duets)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:00:40 am »
You know they're doing a sequel to TOP GUN right?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:01:26 am »
The reboots of the Hulk and Batman were welcome.  The first Hulk sucked and Batman was getting too F$%#$ing ridiculous after the first movie.  Val Kilmer and George Clooney....are you kidding me?
I didn't know they were doing a 3rd Hulk.  Are you sure this isn't part of the Avengers movie they've been building up to ( Ironman, Hulk, Thor, Captain America )?

I'm not sure I'd like a Logan's Run remake...too many fond memories as a kid to have it destroyed by "modern" cinema.

They should make the Superman movie based on the Saturday Night Live skit that asked "what if Superman landed in 1938 Germany?"  Uberman...funny stuff.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:10:02 am »
They should make the Superman movie based on the Saturday Night Live skit that asked "what if Superman landed in 1938 Germany?"  Uberman...funny stuff.

Two favorite lines from that skit:

1. "Or should I say, Jimmy Olstein"
2. "Uh, why didn't Superman fight on *our* side?"
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:15:34 am »
The reboots of the Hulk and Batman were welcome.  The first Hulk sucked and Batman was getting too F$%#$ing ridiculous after the first movie.  Val Kilmer and George Clooney....are you kidding me?
I didn't know they were doing a 3rd Hulk.  Are you sure this isn't part of the Avengers movie they've been building up to ( Ironman, Hulk, Thor, Captain America )?

I'm not sure I'd like a Logan's Run remake...too many fond memories as a kid to have it destroyed by "modern" cinema.

I agree the 80's Tim Burton Batman series was crap.  But why reboot the latest one?  It's been pretty good - though not good enough for the studios, I guess.  The next reboot will begin after 'The Dark Knight Rises'.  

Not 100% sure on the 3rd Hulk.  I know they wanted to make another one before The Avengers - but I think they've run out of time.  Though, as I said, they don't seem to want Edward Norton back, so it'll be someone else.  

I know what you mean about Logan's Run.  It's one of my favorite classic movies.  The main point was, if you must remake stuff - remake the 'older' stuff, not stuff that's barely (or not even) 10 or 20 years old.
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:18:03 am »
-We've had 3 2 pretty decent Spider-Man movies with Tobey Maguire.  Not good enough.  The reboot is shooting now....
I could go on, but I think you get the idea.  Why SO many reboots/remakes?  It's quite clear by now that NOBODY in Hollywood has any original ideas left.  None. 

I corrected that for you - the 3rd stank.  Besides the singing and dancing, they kept the plot moving by introducing more villans.  If you're going to have Venom as a villan, that should be the only villan in the entire movie.  They coulda dragged the whole new goblin/hobgoblin thing out for an extra movie or 2 as well.

But I agree, Hollywood has no original ideas and Spiderman does not need a reboot - even if you do change who plays Spiderman.  The kept going with Batman for 4 movies and 3 actors before rebooting.  Tho IMO the last 2 batman movies were good, and a helluva a lot better than the Val Kilmer & George Clooney movies.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:22:45 am »
It's financial fear - especially in today's economy.

Studios are fearful of spending big money on any totally new scripts/ideas, because if they flop, the studio could be out a lot of money instead of making a profit.  Case in point - Sucker Punch. 

Instead, they remake/reboot/retool/etc./etc.  It's sad that even a crappy or only halfway decent remake can make a bigger profit than a totally original idea.  That's why they keep doing it. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:23:13 am »
+ a kazillion - its a great movie as is and last I heard they had Nicholas Cage pegged as the lead  ::)  At least choose someone who doesn't look like they were up for Carousel a decade ago.  Oh, sorry, it looks like its Ryan Gosling now.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:23:26 am »
Batman isn't getting rebooted because the studios feel like it's boring or unsuccessful, but because Christopher Nolan has said the last one is his last Batman film. Let's face it, the series has been the singular vision of his. The reason they haven't bitten is cause tim Burton and Joel Schumacher haven't been allowed near the series!

As for remakes and adaptions, this has been Hollywood's métier since just about out the gate. One of my favorites is the way they shot 3 different versions of the Maltese Falcon in roughly a decade!

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 09:24:07 am »
Total Recall?  Really??  Pffff...That movie rocked, why remake it?

Why not remake something like Fahrenheit 451 or something?  Although, I'm not sure about that one either.

They should remake Beerwars and take that stupid chick from Moonshot out of there...

EDIT: 6 new replies while I was typing my post...jesus.  The Tim Burton Batman series was crap?  WTF are you talking about?  I seriously question your taste and judgment in movies...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:27:51 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:24:45 am »
The problem I have - and I always have one - is that there is so much reliance on CG effects now.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.  A movie is a classic, even if it's dated, and just because you can make flashier effects doesn't mean you can make it a better movie (I give you the "last" 3 Star Wars movies and Lucas' upgrades to the originals as examples).  

It's all about money.  You saw it in the theater so maybe your kids will go see it and they can cash in on the idea once again.  

I would never want to see Strange Brew re-done.  Best line - "My brother and I used to think drowning in beer'd be like Heaven.  Now he's not here and I got two soakers...this isn't Heaven, this sucks!"

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 09:27:38 am »
The problem I have - and I always have one - is that there is so much reliance on CG effects now.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.  A movie is a classic, even if it's dated, and just because you can make flashier effects doesn't mean you can make it a better movie (I give you the "last" 3 Star Wars movies and Lucas' upgrades to the originals as examples).  

It's all about money.  You saw it in the theater so maybe your kids will go see it and they can cash in on the idea once again.  

I would never want to see Strange Brew re-done.  Best line - "My brother and I used to think drowning in beer'd be like Heaven.  Now he's not here and I got two soakers...this isn't Heaven, this sucks!"

"I gotta take a leak so bad I can taste it!"
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28:56 am »
Total Recall?  Really??  Pffff...That movie rocked, why remake it?

Right.  As in "I totally recall when Sharon Stone was hot." 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong