Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Melinoidan Malt vs Munich 10L  (Read 2473 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Melinoidan Malt vs Munich 10L
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »
I am going to make a Helles Bock (I know it will be too late for May Day) with an infusion mash rather than a traditional decoction.  I want to use about 20% Munich 10L and was going to use about 1/4 lb Melanoidan Malt to make up for the lack of decoction, but it is 20L.  I want to keep this beer as light in color as possible. 

How much more Munich 10L would I have to add to get the same amount of melanoidan flavor as the melanoidan malt?
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Melinoidan Malt vs Munich 10L
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:24:31 pm »
i dont't think i would worry about it and not put any melainoidan in it. and i wouldn't worry about the lack of decoction much either.
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 03:57:26 pm »
i dont't think i would worry about it and not put any melainoidan in it. and i wouldn't worry about the lack of decoction much either.

I totally agree on both counts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:46:56 pm »
Is a decoction not worth the time?
Isn't that what helps make the style, though?

Not talking Munich Helles...Helles Bock.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:51:08 pm by Kit B »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 04:33:21 pm »
Is a decoction not worth the time?
Isn't that what helps make the style, though?

Not talking Munich Helles...Helles Bock.

Yeah, I realize you mean helles bock.  Made one a few weeks back.  You'll have to decide about decoction for yourself, but in an experiment I did, the conclusion was that a single decoction with a 30 min. did not make a difference that people noticed.  If you'd like to read it, go to http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/DennyConn.pdf and start on pg. 25.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:06:08 pm »
i did a triple decoction bock  a couple months ago, yea it was good , was it worth the extra time? no

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 06:54:09 am »
Yeah, I realize you mean helles bock.  Made one a few weeks back.  You'll have to decide about decoction for yourself, but in an experiment I did, the conclusion was that a single decoction with a 30 min. did not make a difference that people noticed.  If you'd like to read it, go to http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/DennyConn.pdf and start on pg. 25.

Interesting.
Thank you.