Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Stand Build - Newb Questions  (Read 1615 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Brew Stand Build - Newb Questions
« on: April 21, 2011, 03:14:06 pm »
OK, so I'm about to design my first brew stand, having seen some beauties on here.  I want it to be upgradeable, so while I'm currently using a cooler mash tun, I'm building as if its a 3 kettle system.  Is there a good step by step you recommend, or does anyone have any tips?  I've got a few questions, but the most important are below;

I'm planning to use 1.5" square tubing.  Is 1" insufficient?  Would 2" be overkill? Does everyone use stainless?  Would aluminum work instead (I have the welding capabilities for Al) or will that have too low a melting point near the burners?  Does a 16" x 60" surface sound about right for a 3 burner system?

Thanks in advance for everyone help.  I might have keezers and draft systems down, but I know nothing of brew stands, other than I want one... :)

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Brew Stand Build - Newb Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:09:42 pm »
1" tubing is sufficient, alum is also ok if you want to go that route, just understand you'll prob get black on it from the burn/soot. Its all going to depend on what you want to build,... 1 tier, 2 tier, 3 tier? I would suggest measuring for what you want to end up with, but keep in mind how long you think it will take you to get there. I think if you go with anything larger than 1", plan on using casters or just design casters in anyway... its always going to make it easier to move around. Your surface area is going to depend on the size of your burners, but you also need to know what kettles you're going to use, they come in alot of different dimensions so that is also a concideration of how you design it. I guess where I'm going is decide on the equipment you're going to use and then design around that.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Re: Brew Stand Build - Newb Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 05:06:09 pm »
mine is 1 inch square and i think that is suffecient. i have a 3 tier gravity stand that is 20 by 65.