Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best material to build potable water hose?  (Read 13480 times)

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
Re: Best material to build potable water hose?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 09:57:00 am »
Could be a good one, but I wonder if it will impart any taste?

And I'll try my question again, anyone know where to get lead-free hose fittings?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 10:11:05 am »

And I'll try my question again, anyone know where to get lead-free hose fittings?
What makes you think it would impart any off tastes?  It's lead free and has a bacterial/mold inhibitor. 

Not sure about your hose fittings question - though I see many hoses listed as having stainless steel fittings (but those fittings are already attached to the hose being sold). 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 11:36:00 pm »

What makes you think it would impart any off tastes?  It's lead free and has a bacterial/mold inhibitor. 

Not sure about your hose fittings question - though I see many hoses listed as having stainless steel fittings (but those fittings are already attached to the hose being sold). 
"Drinking Water Safe - use to fill pools, bird baths and water for your animals."

It doesn't say you'll want to drink out of it.  I don't worry about mold or bacteria in my fill hose as long as the water tastes good coming out, it all gets boiled anyway.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 07:24:30 am »

"Drinking Water Safe - use to fill pools, bird baths and water for your animals."

It doesn't say you'll want to drink out of it.  I don't worry about mold or bacteria in my fill hose as long as the water tastes good coming out, it all gets boiled anyway.

So... are you saying you think that hose will do, or would you suggerst something different?  I need 25 feet at minimum, considering where my water spigot is in relation to my garage (where I brew). 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 07:39:10 am »
The bottom line is "does the water taste good" coming out of the hose. Do a blind tasting with some tap water, filtered water and hose water. The taste difference should stand out IMO.
Ron Price

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 07:40:42 am »
The bottom line is "does the water taste good" coming out of the hose. Do a blind tasting with some tap water, filtered water and hose water. The taste difference should stand out IMO.
That can be difficult w/o buying the hose first - and then if it tastes bad... you've arleady bought it. 

As you can tell, I haven't reached the point yet of messing with my water chemistry.  I brew with what comes out of my tap. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 07:43:36 am »
That can be difficult w/o buying the hose first - and then if it tastes bad... you've arleady bought it. 

As you can tell, I haven't reached the point yet of messing with my water chemistry.  I brew with what comes out of my tap. 

Perhaps that's the chance you must take in order to answer the question. No risk...no reward.   ;)  :)
Ron Price

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 07:45:24 am »

Perhaps that's the chance you must take in order to answer the question. No risk...no reward.   ;)  :)

Well, I'm gonna find a better solution than spending $50 on a hose I might not be able to use.

What hoses do you all use?  Perhaps post some links of what hose you bought/use and how well it works for you(?)
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 09:37:37 am »
What hoses do you all use?  Perhaps post some links of what hose you bought/use and how well it works for you(?)

I use a generic RV hose....3 of them, in effect. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 11:07:59 am »
My issue with it is that it is a garden hose.  It is "drinking water safe", but safe doesn't mean it tastes good.  Get something that is labeled "odorless and tasteless", you'll be happier I think.  I was anyway.  I cant find the one that I got at HD on their website, it is clear with reinforcements running through it.  I need to go anyway, I'll see if they still have it.  You can get something like this if you can find fittings for the smaller diameter.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100186093/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 11:12:24 am »
My issue with it is that it is a garden hose.  It is "drinking water safe", but safe doesn't mean it tastes good.  Get something that is labeled "odorless and tasteless", you'll be happier I think.  I was anyway.  I cant find the one that I got at HD on their website, it is clear with reinforcements running through it.  I need to go anyway, I'll see if they still have it.  You can get something like this if you can find fittings for the smaller diameter.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100186093/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

OK.  Thanks Tom.  I guess I need to keep looking (or go see what they have at Home Depot).  I guess Polyethylene is what I need - since it's rated as odorless & tasteless. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 11:38:26 am »
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100175856/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
This is the one I picked up at Home Depot for $13.00.  I'll give it a taste this weekend and report back.  If this doesn't work out I'll build my own.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 11:59:13 am »
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100175856/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
This is the one I picked up at Home Depot for $13.00.  I'll give it a taste this weekend and report back.  If this doesn't work out I'll build my own.

Thanks.  I'll be interested to read what you think...
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2011, 10:17:52 pm »

Thanks.  I'll be interested to read what you think...

I finally had a chance to test out this hose for off flavors this weekend. I flushed with hot water then cold, poured a tall glass and thought it tasted fine. Assistant agrees so it shall remain in the inventory.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2011, 08:29:38 am »
From looking into this more around the net I've seen some systems where guys are using the "white HD or Lowes" RV & Boat medical grade potable water hose ($12.00) and slapping a Whirlpool House filter on it.  I like this idea.  Think what I'll do is this; when I get to the brewery I'll hook up the RV & Boat hose that I bought (still in the packaging) and fill a nice frosty glass full and take a taste.  If it tastes fine, no worries; proceed as planned.  If it's just a little bit funky, I'll invest in the filter.

I've had this dedicated brewing set up for over 6 years.  Replace filter once a year.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC