Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SImple pickup tube for keggle  (Read 4252 times)

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
SImple pickup tube for keggle
« on: August 13, 2010, 03:00:10 pm »
I currently use a keggle with a false bottom, with a pickup tube that goes from the ball valve to the middle of the keggle.  I am looking for an alternative for this, mostly because I need to use primarily leaf hops with this rig.  The pickup tube today uses what I think is called a flare fitting (basically it is a nut and a ferrule which are attached to the pickup tube).

I was thinking about having an alternative to this that I can use with pellet hops and a whirlpool-- it would basically be a short copper pipe to the edge of the keggle, which is a common design I've seen others have.  How do I connect the pickup tube to my ball valve?  Is the same type of fitting which is on my false bottom's pickup tube easy to use?  Is this a flare fitting?  Am I making this too complicated, and I shouldn't use a pickup tube at all?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: SImple pickup tube for keggle
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 03:41:30 pm »
I was thinking about having an alternative to this that I can use with pellet hops and a whirlpool-- it would basically be a short copper pipe to the edge of the keggle, which is a common design I've seen others have.  How do I connect the pickup tube to my ball valve?  Is the same type of fitting which is on my false bottom's pickup tube easy to use?  Is this a flare fitting?  Am I making this too complicated, and I shouldn't use a pickup tube at all?

Your design is basically what I do.  I use a close nipple on the keg bulkhead.  Then I use a compression fitting to connect a piece of tubing to it.   I bag whole hops, since they'll clog the pickup, and pellets I just go through the pickup into the fermenter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 10:47:22 am »
I have a simple pickup tube. It is attached to the ball-valve with a compression fitting. Not flared just tight enough to hold it in firmly.

Coarse hop-bags are the way to go. It's the simplest solution and extremely effective for whole hops. Can't believe I was brewing without them all these years.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

narvin

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 06:50:36 pm »
You'll use a compression fitting on the copper pipe which has pipe thread on the other side.

I just made a hop stopper and could not be more pleased.  It handled my pliny clone with a pound of hops in the kettle with ease.  These are the instructions I followed, omitting the stainless steel thread as it wasn't necessary.

http://www.homebrewchatter.com/board/f18/diy-hop-stopper-kettle-screen-pickup-t2550/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:55:13 pm by narvin »