Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Little Beer Fountains  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Tommy C

• 1st Kit
Little Beer Fountains
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:55:06 pm »
I just cracked open a bottle from my latest batch and was caught off guard by a fountain of beer/foam shooting out of the top of the bottle when I opened it.  Being still new to the brewing game my question is this... Is this a clear sign of contaminated beer or did I just over prime my bottles?  I used a cup of corn sugar to prime which is what the recipe called for so I'm assuming it's contamination.  Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Little Beer Fountains
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:57:27 pm »
A cup is a little overkill to my mind. if you're doing it by volume then the usual I remember is 3/4.

How did the foam, I mean beer, taste?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 05:05:52 pm »
I just cracked open a bottle from my latest batch and was caught off guard by a fountain of beer/foam shooting out of the top of the bottle when I opened it.  Being still new to the brewing game my question is this... Is this a clear sign of contaminated beer or did I just over prime my bottles?  I used a cup of corn sugar to prime which is what the recipe called for so I'm assuming it's contamination.  Any help would be great.

Thanks!

You'll get more reliable results if you weigh the sugar instead of measure by volume. Usually 3-4 oz per 5 gallons is enough.

Taste the beer. Is it bad or just over carbonated? Gushers can be caused by too much sugar, maybe you went to the bottle too soon and the beer wasn't finished fermenting. Did you take a gravity reading first?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:27:51 pm »
And just in case - refrigerate the rest right away and watch out for bottle bombs!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Tommy C

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:30:39 pm »
Aside from having to battle through an excessive head it tastes good, exactly like I had hoped it would.  I'm pretty confident about it being done fermenting before I bottled it, I checked the gravity a twice before bottling to make sure it was finished.  Maybe I did just over prime it.  I did notice after they had sat in the fridge and got nice and cold the explosion was less.

Thanks for the help guys.

Offline Tommy C

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:32:02 pm »
And just in case - refrigerate the rest right away and watch out for bottle bombs!

Already did.  I just have to remember to open these guys over the sink or outside.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 05:37:43 pm »
I have been using this old but good carb. calculator.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Tommy C

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:16:03 pm »
I have been using this old but good carb. calculator.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

Thanks for the carb calculator.  I'll be giving it a whirl next weekend when I bottle up the latest batch.