Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why have pony kegs? Rubber coated or not?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline brewsclues

• 1st Kit
Why have pony kegs? Rubber coated or not?
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »
Newbie looking for advice.

Would it be worth it to get some (thinking that t some point in the future we would like to go bigger than home brewing).

Found some used ones list for $50 each, and are rubber coated.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Re: Why have pony kegs? Rubber coated or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:18:24 pm »
It depends on what kind of kegs you're talking about.  Even if you just homebrew, I imagine you'll want to keg your own beer.  While I'm one for planning ahead, when possible, stick to just homebrewing right now.  Don't worry about equipment you'll need if you go pro/semi pro. I recently acquired two "pony" 5 gallon sanke kegs...I have no use for them.  Don't know how new you are, I've been brewing for almost two years now...and realize, that I have a lot more to learn.  First worry about sanitation, fementation temp control...etc.

FWIW, my wife visited a brewpub in PA a few weeks ago.  The guys hasn't been brewing that long and decides to buy a brew pub.  She said over half of his beer tasted like olives!  Yuck!!  DMS anyone?? :-[

Enjoy homebrewing for now.  That's just my humble opinion though.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
Re: Why have pony kegs? Rubber coated or not?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:39:15 am »
And I wouldn't try using them for your beer either.  When I bought my first kegging setup oh so many years ago, it came with a rubber coated pony keg.  I kegged a brew and set it up for force carbonation.  Damn thing cracked in the middle of the night.  I awoke to the smell of my beer all over the floor.  Grrr.  I believe that sanke kegs are rated to a much lower pressure than cornies, so any dent or ding can weaken the structural integrity of the keg to the point of failure under pressure.  This one cracked where there was a small dent (which I found when I cut back the rubber to see what happened).  While I think others may use sankes at home, it's cornies only for me now!
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?