Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cashew Crusted Halibut recipe  (Read 11451 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Cashew Crusted Halibut recipe
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:33:25 pm »
1 1/2 -2 lb. halibut steak or filet (at least 1" thick)
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs (panko preferred)
2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
2 Tbsp. chopped cashews (I prefer unsalted and I generally use a bit more)
1 Tbsp. fresh tarragon or 1/2 tsp. dried
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. paprika
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil

Place halibut in a lightly sprayed 9x13 glass baking dish.  In a small bowl stir together remaining ingredients.  Press crumb mixture on top if halibut.  Bake fish until it flakes when tested with a fork, maybe 12-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the halibut.  With what we get around here it usually is more like 20-25 min.  Serve immediately with lemon wedges.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Cashew Crusted Halibut recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:09 pm »
Excellent.  Thanks.  Parmesan + panko is a winner for almost any breading, in my book.  I could see swapping macadamia nuts for the cashews and doing the same thing with mahi mahi.  Make a little beurre blanc to go with it.  Voila.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »
Excellent.  Thanks.  Parmesan + panko is a winner for almost any breading, in my book.  I could see swapping macadamia nuts for the cashews and doing the same thing with mahi mahi.  Make a little beurre blanc to go with it.  Voila.

Killer idea!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:50:37 pm »
What temp do you use for the fish Denny?  I was planning on making fish for dinner tomorrow anyway, and I've got all of the ingredients except the filet :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:26 am »
The Parmesan itself makes a nice crust if you use more and do it in a nonstick pan.

I'll try this your way Denny. How chopped is chopped?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:11:24 am »
I would cook it at 350F unless stated otherwise.  That's basically "normal".  It's done when it stops being translucent in the middle.  Plan at least 10 minutes per inch of thickness.  If you don't want to pull it apart with a fork to see if it's done, you can run a metal skewer into the thickest part from the side, leave it there a few seconds, pull it out and touch it to your lip.  If it's cold, it needs more cooking.  That was an Eric Ripert tip, and I'd say he knows how to cook fish.

I probably would chop them moderately fine.  I don't imagine you want big hunks, but you probably still want to notice they are there and get a little crunch out of them.

Have you ever wrapped a fish like that in potato and pan-roasted it?  Peel the potatoes, then slice them into thin layers with a mandoline.  Lay out the potato pieces in an overlapping pattern, put the fish in it, then roll it up, sort of like making a sushi roll.  Then fry it in a pan with butter and oil until crisp, flip it, put it in the oven until done.  It helps if you lay out the potato on saran wrap, so you have something to help you keep it all together (like the bamboo mat does when making sushi).
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:50:20 am »
Recipe looks really fine Denny.

You could sub just about any nut for the cashew. It's just a matter of preference but I do like the flavor of cashew so that would work nicely for me.

The cheese definitely lends some complexity to the flavor of the dish. I will give this one a try someday.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:57:13 am »
What temp do you use for the fish Denny?  I was planning on making fish for dinner tomorrow anyway, and I've got all of the ingredients except the filet :)

350ish.....until it starts to flake

And Gordon's correct....moderately fine
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:59:12 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 11:21:54 pm »
What temp do you use for the fish Denny?  I was planning on making fish for dinner tomorrow anyway, and I've got all of the ingredients except the filet :)

350ish.....until it starts to flake

And Gordon's correct....moderately fine

Made it tonight - delicious!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:51:29 am »
Glad you enjoyed it, Tom!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 05:21:36 pm »
Made a variation of this tonight.  I made it with Cod since that was the only decent fish they had at the grocery store.  Per Gordon's suggestion above I used macadamia nuts and topped it off with a beurre blanc.  Very tasty. 

Thanks for the recipe!  I'll definitely be doing that again.
Clint
Wort Hogs