Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maris Otter and Diacetyl (butter taste)  (Read 8470 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: Maris Otter and Diacetyl (butter taste)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 10:24:55 am »
Without a doubt I am nutz.  ;) Still swear I get a biscuity-butterscotch flavor from using MO as a basemalt though. Like I said, its not diacetyl. It just kinda reminds me of diacetyl.

For instance, I brewed an all MO single hopped beer 4 weeks ago. Then, same recipe but used regular 2 row and subbed in some Victory (was out of MO). Beer is very similar and still get some of the biscuit but not the sharp (though subtle) butterscotch type taste.

And I have ruled out infection (if any of you are thinking I am overlooking something) because I am pitching the same strain into an Alt (with obviously no MO) and am not getting any butterscotch-type flavors at all.
A little OT here but this brings up something I was going to start a thread on. Being che...err, pragmatic, I am looking to get a reasonable facsimile of Maris Otter using US 2 row pale ale malt and I deduced, Victory malt. What percentage Victory did you use?
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 10:31:34 am »
Not quite 5%. Seemed to be enough, though a little more may get you closer, depending on what you are going for. It was a one time shot and I have not attempted to dial it in. But IME that would be a good starting point.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 10:42:27 am »
Cool, thanks. Just got hops for a SSOS batch and don't feel like springing for a sack of diacetyl ridden MO.  :D  Back on topic: I used to use Munton's MO as base malt for most of my beers(mainly America IPAs) and never noticed diacetyl.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 10:50:23 am »
Ah, SSOS.  Brings back memories.  Good beer.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 10:51:16 am »
Ah, SSOS.  Brings back memories.  Good beer.

I was just thinking the same, Gordon.  It's been along time since I made a batch and it's about time for another.  Any idea what became of Dave Brockington?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 11:10:29 am »
I have SSoS on tap right now.  Great beer, and we brew if maybe every other year.  Used Munton's MO and don't get any diacetyl or diacetyl like flavors, but then again my threshold is medium to medium high. 

Dave Brockington went to Belgium on a Post-Doc, and then his where abouts became unknown.  Maybe all that Belgian beer?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 11:18:42 am »
Dave Brockington went to Belgium on a Post-Doc, and then his where abouts became unknown.  Maybe all that Belgian beer?

I could believe that!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 12:00:23 pm »
ssos ???
Member #: 900000767

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 12:08:04 pm »
ssos ???

Sister Star of the Sun.  Some recipes are just good as is.  Brew it as it is written to see what people are talking about.

http://www.realbeer.com/hops/sister.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 12:10:59 pm »
ssos ???

Sister Star of the Sun.  Some recipes are just good as is.  Brew it as it is written to see what people are talking about.

I bolded an important thing.  Many people look at that recipe and freak out about the Chinooks.  If it wasn't great as it is, it wouldn't have become legendary.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 12:14:30 pm »
ssos ???

Sister Star of the Sun.  Some recipes are just good as is.  Brew it as it is written to see what people are talking about.

Thanks, I may try that as I have a MO ale on 1028 right now that was to try out batch sparging.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:16:14 pm by Bret »
Member #: 900000767

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 01:49:21 pm »
This one can take some time to mature.  When it does, it will not last long, as it will disappear quickly.

If you lookup the 2009 IPA winner at the NHC, it will look very similar to this.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 03:12:03 pm »
As I live in a land where Maris Otter is pretty much the standard I use it a lot. Never got diacetyl off it.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline samgamgee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 01:33:52 am »
In the CYBI interview, the Meantime brewer was saying that there was a component to maris otter that reminded him of diacetyl, but lab analysis showed that the levels in the beer were under threshold, so it wasn't actually diacetyl, just a similar aroma.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 06:02:10 am »
^^^Thanks for posting that, Sam.

I just tapped a keg a couple of days ago: "12 gallon "test batch" (which means I do most of my testing one pint at a time  ;)), all MO and single hop Columbus, US-05 ale yeast straight from brick (about 13 gms) and, as was mentioned above, I get a character that reminds me of diacetyl. I'm pretty confident it is not diacetyl. Just reminds me of it. Perhaps it is an association thing. I am very sensitive to diacetyl.

FWIW: don't get me wrong, I find it is a pleasant characteristic. In this beer it is exactly what I am going for, especially considering there is no crystal malt.