Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Patricks Law  (Read 3589 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Patricks Law
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:54:14 am »
In light of recent events, locally and the case after which this movement is named, I urge all interested to support it. IMO, the current deterrents are much too weak. Google Patrick's Law. Do what you feel is appropriate. Thanks to all.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Patricks Law
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 05:01:27 pm »
Man, that makes me sick to my stomach. I don't understand how someone could do something like that.

I'd adopt another shelter dog, but my hands are full already.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:28:53 pm »
Shelter dogs rule. Nice pic!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:52:55 pm »
I'm the proud caretaker of 3 shelter pups (and 2 semi-rescued cats.. cause who can really claim a cat? except one of them doesn't seem to mind so much that I'm paying his asthma and kidney bills)

I have less than no use for anyone who abuses an animal. I don't often feel that violence is necessary, but animals are a protected class . I seriously look at my goons and wonder how anyone could ever abuse them (it's clear from their behavior that two of them were abused, one profoundly so)

Patrick's former "caretaker" deserves, god, I don't even know.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:19:56 am »
Shelter dogs rule.

Next to getting married, it has been, without a doubt, the most rewarding experience of my life.

I don't know how badly she was treated before, but she's come a long way since we first adopted her.  She was a very timid puppy.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:38:29 am »
We've got 2 shelter dogs (including one with severe mental issues) and just picked up 2 more shelter cats (for a total of 5) last week.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07:30 am »
 Good on you guys! My last two dogs have been high falootin' bird dogs but when I was a kid we had a couple of rescues. I think they know the fate they were spared and are grateful for the second chance.
 Denny; I wish you luck with the dog with the mental issues. It might come down to that dreaded tough decision but you have to do what's best for your family, then your pet.
 I know that we outnumber the bad eggs by many orders of magnitude, so we need to ensure that they are held accountable for their incomprehensible, always indefensible acts.

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:36:51 am »
  Denny; I wish you luck with the dog with the mental issues. It might come down to that dreaded tough decision but you have to do what's best for your family, then your pet.

Oh, he's here to stay.  Our "family" consists of my wife, me, and the pets.  The dog has severe fear issues.  He's scared to death of everyone except my wife and 3 other people (2 from the rescue he came from and his foster mom that we got him from).  He's a beautiful, sweet, loving dog to them.  He won't even be in the house with me if my wife isn't here, and he'll leave the room when I come in if she isn't sitting next to him.  He's actually gotten better in the 2 1/2 years we've had him, but he still has so far to go that it's sometimes hard to see the improvement.  In a very small way, it's similar to having an autistic child.  Fortunately, the dog we adopted last July is a sweet, mellow dog who loves everybody.  They've become huge buddies and she has been a good influence on him. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 10:43:35 am »
Oh, he's here to stay.  Our "family" consists of my wife, me, and the pets.  The dog has severe fear issues.  He's scared to death of everyone except my wife and 3 other people (2 from the rescue he came from and his foster mom that we got him from).
Out of curiosity Denny, what was the gender of the two people at the shelter he trusted?  My dad had a rescue dog when I was a kid, she had clearly been abused.  She had no problem with women or kids, but my dad was the only adult male she ever trusted.

Our pup is a rescue, but was never abused as far as I know.  I think her former caretakers were just idiots.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:46:02 am »
Out of curiosity Denny, what was the gender of the two people at the shelter he trusted?  My dad had a rescue dog when I was a kid, she had clearly been abused.  She had no problem with women or kids, but my dad was the only adult male she ever trusted.

Both male and female, Tom.  We went down that route.  I even went so far as to shave my beard (for the first time in 35 years!) to see if that would do it.  Aside from making me even uglier than I already am, it had no effect.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:48:39 am »

Both male and female, Tom.  We went down that route.  I even went so far as to shave my beard (for the first time in 35 years!) to see if that would do it.  Aside from making me even uglier than I already am, it had no effect.
But you look fine in your profile picture ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 11:43:34 am »
"Oh, he's here to stay."  Cool. I guess I was thinking of aggression or destruction issues.
Our second adopted dog when I was a kid was very skittish around adult males and quick movements by anyone for a year or so. He overcame it and became a relaxed, awesome companion.

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 08:21:04 pm »
Incredible. Three cheers for Patrick, I wish him a smooth recovery.

I have two cats, both rescues.
The male we were supposed to "foster" until a home was found. He never left. We never really
named him, either. I told my wife we'd just call him "Gatito" until he was adopted. Gatito is
Spanish for kitten, he was 8 weeks old. He's still Gatito and a very loving cat, a huge loving cat.
I'm talking "big-boned" not fat kind of huge...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 09:07:57 pm »
My dad and I rescued a female lab years ago and when we first got Sierra she would let anyone but dad and I come near her.  The two exceptions were my stepmom and my girlfriend and it was odd how she didn't even need to be coaxed she just knew they were OK right off the bat. Sierra was incredibly intelligent, sweet and a fierce retriever absolutely lived to have anything thrown for her. She calmed over the years and was a great mentor for my knucklheaded but lovable black lab Cedar. Miss those two something fierce.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:15:03 am »
He's still Gatito and a very loving cat, a huge loving cat.
I'm talking "big-boned" not fat kind of huge...

You and Drew should compare.  He's got a couple enormous cats, too.

www.dennybrew.com