Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rice, beans, etc  (Read 8526 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Rice, beans, etc
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 06:21:23 pm »
I can't think of one grocery store that shops clockwise, in fact they are all counter-clockwise.  Enter to the right - exit to the left (facing the store from outside) and skate in a counter-clockwise direction.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 10:07:23 pm »
I can't think of one grocery store that shops clockwise, in fact they are all counter-clockwise.  Enter to the right - exit to the left (facing the store from outside) and skate in a counter-clockwise direction.

There is a science to movement in a store and everything else as far as placement in a retail establishment. I studied this in business school.

The most expensive place in a store is immediately to the right of the entrance but not too close to the entrance; high margin, high impulse items go here. Want to rent space for your product? You will pay dearly for this space.

The least desirable space is the first few feet inside the entrance. This is the decompression space. Have you ever walked in a store and had to look around for a cart or hand basket? You missed them because they are behind you. It takes a few feet for people to become oriented and they walk past with out noticing the first few feet.

High margin items (like store brands) are to the right of name brand-low margin items because people always compare a substitute to the item to the left, you know you have done it. The store I shop has dish washing liquid that is made by Dawn; same bottle, same cap, same back label, only the front label is different and the "blue" is a shade lighter (dawn has a trademark on the color). The store brand is to the right of Dawn. High margin items, even though sometimes cheaper, are always to the right. Check it out.

Why in the Hell don't they open another register!?!?!!? There should be a minimum of 3 people standing in line not counting the person being checked out. Those racks with gum, batteries, candy, etc are called impulse racks by the trade. They need you standing in line so you will stare at a magazines and such so something will peak your interest and you will grab it.

Then there is the "scream factor". Candy at low levels in the impulse racks, colorful cereal boxes with "prizes" inside at knee level, these are there for the kids to show their ass in public so mama will by it "if you will just shut up". Embarrassing mama in public has made many store owners rich.

Those displays in the middle of a travel lane are there to break up the travel pattern and steer you head-long into an impulse/ high-margin item/area.

Staples like dairy, bread,  eggs, snacks, soft drinks, the devils brew, etc.. are placed in the far reaches to the left back of the store so you have to pass the buy1 get 1 free frozen pizza and other goodies on the way.

As a homework assignment we had to go to stores and verify all of this. Its true. Check it out the next time shopping.

My wife hates to take me shopping.

End of Tubercle's marketing lesson.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 11:41:07 pm »
Staples like dairy, bread,  eggs, snacks, soft drinks, the devils brew, etc.. are placed in the far reaches to the left back of the store so you have to pass the buy1 get 1 free frozen pizza and other goodies on the way.
This isn't the case anywhere I do most of my shopping.  In the main place, a really big place, when you walk in the produce is right in front of you.  Along the right side of the store, front to back, is the cheese counter, the deli counter, bakery, seafood, meat.  The wine is behind the produce, before the meats.  The milk and eggs are right next to the produce.  The beer is two aisles over, and runs one entire side of the aisle.  The bread is another 2 or 3 aisles left, and the soda an aisle or two after that.  The back left of the store is automotive, housewares, tools, that kind of stuff.

I'm sure they have some system to get you to buy stuff on impulse, but the one you're describing isn't it.

Checkout was self-checkout, I waited briefly.  I noticed a headline that someone is cheating on Kendra, but I have no idea who they are or why I would care.  I also saw that Brad was caught naked with his costar and Angelina was pissed.  I know who they are, but still don't care.  I must not be their target audience.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 12:42:57 am »
The HEB's in Texas are a bit different. The produce is right next to a side (but main) entrance and it may be clockwise or counterclockwise to the meat and dairy- all of which are in the periphery of the building. The beer and wine is usually close to the register- at my after work but just before "stop-selling" (midnight or 1am on Sunday) store it's the first thing one hits. Usually, there's a huge line just before selling alcohol cuts off. This one has a very decent selection too.

Discovered that if I do the edges and shoot through the beer aisle then I can get out of there without being skinned too much. My problem is that I go 5 times a week for something.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 11:03:53 am »
Understood on the design. Mostly lost on me though. Full stomach, no shopping w/out a list, and virtually no processed foods. Get in, get out.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 11:14:01 am »
Understood on the design. Mostly lost on me though. Full stomach, no shopping w/out a list, and virtually no processed foods. Get in, get out.
YES! Also, I shop in a linear fashion, start at one end of the store and proceed straight through, once. Done.  My wife thinks shopping is a pinball game, careens around the store like the silver ball...
Member #: 900000767

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 09:40:56 am »
Update.....my turtle is starting to fatten up, and all his farts smell like warm bacon.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 08:15:10 am »
Cheapest way to eat meat around here is either whole chickens or chicken leg quarters, which run from 50c to 80c a lb, usually.  It takes a lot more work, but I do a lot of deboning of whole chickens, and the stock you can make from the bones and skin of a whole chicken makes a fantastic base for soups, dal, or gravy.  I'd lose the game hen thing, unless you get per lb pricing on them comparable to the above.  They tend to be rather expensive around here.

Smoke a whole chicken, and you have plenty of meat that can be used for any variety of dishes, such as chicken tacos.
I do this a lot because lucky for me, I much prefer dark meat over white meat.  My only problem with the leg quarter packages is that one leg quarter might come from a 3.5 lb fryer and another might come from a monster 5+ pounder (and they usually still have the back bone connected).  I much prefer the smaller birds so I sort through all the whole birds to find one 4 pounds or less.  Often there's only 1 or 2 that qualify.  The dark meat gets eaten 'as cooked' and the leftover white meat gets used for making another dish (such as chicken tacos).
I like using shears to cut the backbone out and clip the wings.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 04:29:27 pm »
Beans, rice, soy, protein ... no matter what I get, if I eliminate meat from my diet, my body fails to extract whatever it is it needs from the food (or maybe I'm missing something?) and in under a week I'm quite ill.  It only takes 2-3 days without meat for me to lose my ability to heal, and in under 5 days I'm noticing open wounds and sores that have just appeared... the skin, it cracks and splits.  In a week my immune system starts to fail and I get really sick.  People experience problems going vegetarian yeah, but I'm like way beyond "outlier" here, I'm not even in the same universe.

I think there was something like this on a recent episode of House. a genetic disorder that caused issues when too much vegetables are eaten. I think the guy turned out to be a mass murderer, No connection though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 04:50:21 pm »
Beans, rice, soy, protein ... no matter what I get, if I eliminate meat from my diet, my body fails to extract whatever it is it needs from the food (or maybe I'm missing something?) and in under a week I'm quite ill.  It only takes 2-3 days without meat for me to lose my ability to heal, and in under 5 days I'm noticing open wounds and sores that have just appeared... the skin, it cracks and splits.  In a week my immune system starts to fail and I get really sick.  People experience problems going vegetarian yeah, but I'm like way beyond "outlier" here, I'm not even in the same universe.

I think there was something like this on a recent episode of House. a genetic disorder that caused issues when too much vegetables are eaten. I think the guy turned out to be a mass murderer, No connection though.

And we all know how much TV shows are like real life!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 10:35:32 am »

And we all know how much TV shows are like real life!  ;)

Denny are you implying that the entertainment industry it's completely honest and true to life? you mean all women aren't size 2 and all men don't weight 160 lbs?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce