Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CTZ Hops anywhere?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
CTZ Hops anywhere?
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:08:10 am »
Was dismayed when going to place my yearly hop order that neither Freshops or HopsDirect has any Columbus left this year.  Anyone know where any are available at less that your average LHBS retail prices?

Also, apparently Simcoe are at a premium now?  Wanted to start brewing with them, but then also noticed Putterbaugh Farms (Hops Direct) doesn't even have any on-top for the '11 harvest :(

Cheers!

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: CTZ Hops anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:28:34 am »
I recently bought some varieties of pellet from here:

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/hopsList.asp?idCategory=21

Quick service, btw. 

-J.K.L.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:15 am »
http://www.freshops.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=HOPS&keywords=all&template=PDGCommTemplates/hops.html

freshops has them right there - don't kow what you're looking at.

FWIW - Puterbaugh doesn't grow Simcoe, so you won't find them there.  They had them once ('06 or '07 IIRC) when they traded with another grower, but its been years since that happened. 

From what I hear from pros, it is unlikely we will see any Simcoe at the homebrew level from the '11 harvest.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:45:56 am »
Wholesalehops.com has 'em. I just picked up a couple #s of Centennial. Looks like they have Amarillo too(2# max).
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:21:34 pm »
Thanks for all the sources guys! - and thanks Blatz for pointing out the obvious, may have looked over those mentally because they weren't pellets (which I prefer), so went on looking forgetting some DO exist.

Man, too bad to hear about Simcoe - was really looking forward to trying that in a few beers.  Maybe a local brewery can spare a few ounces around...

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:09:31 am »
http://www.freshops.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=HOPS&keywords=all&template=PDGCommTemplates/hops.html

freshops has them right there - don't kow what you're looking at.

FWIW - Puterbaugh doesn't grow Simcoe, so you won't find them there.  They had them once ('06 or '07 IIRC) when they traded with another grower, but its been years since that happened. 

From what I hear from pros, it is unlikely we will see any Simcoe at the homebrew level from the '11 harvest.
Damn it, I was just starting to get into Simcoe, too...argh.  I don't understand why these are on such a shortage, fakkin' plant more!  Is it really that difficult?
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:47:40 am »
Simcoe is supply and demand.  High demand and only 237 acres in 2010 (USDA REPORT). 
Matt Bryndilson said that they can get about80% production out of a first year plant in Yakima due to the soil and conditions.  Let us hope for more acres in 2011.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!