Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Working with a pump  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Working with a pump
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:24:28 am »
So I picked up March pump to help with my all-grain transfers.  I've heard (and would like to verify) that a ball valve isolation/restriction should only be installed downstream of the pump outport.  My real question is about operating the pump and restricting the flow.  Are there any rules of thumb about this?  I'm concerned about restricting the flow too much and damaging the pump.  Or running the pump too long.  Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Brewdogz

• 1st Kit
  • It's No Chill Bud It'll Do
Re: Working with a pump
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:33:13 am »
you are correct, put a valve on the pump outlet for restricting flow.

I assume this is a magnetic drive pump.  The pump doesn't really care how much you restrict the flow.  As long as there is liquid in it you should be fine.
Curt Stock
Saint Paul Homebrewers Club
Lots of beers brewing
Lots of mead being made

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:00:36 pm »
Once I get the pump primed, I'll often just shut the valve on the output and let the pump keep running.  No harm done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:34:08 pm »
Yes as long as the pump volute is full of liquid, you can close the valve on the outlet side of the pump to zero opening without any damage.  The load on the motor will actually decrease as the valve is closed and the flow decreases.  You will be able to hear the motor speed up as you close the valve and the motor load decreases.

I have found that its a good idea to keep the motor running throughout the time that I'm recirculating my wort with my March pump since the impellor can seize to the shaft due to sugar buildup.  I just close the output valve as needed and the impellor never has the chance to seize.  Once I've performed the wort runoff and sparge, then the concentration of sugar in the pumped wort goes down and the chance of seizure goes away too.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:16:23 pm »
Can you attach a ball valve directly to the outlet port threads or should it be a minimum distance from the valve?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

narvin

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 04:24:27 pm »
Can you attach a ball valve directly to the outlet port threads or should it be a minimum distance from the valve?

Yep.